Chapter# 9

Days flew by and not long after, Kanwal's ultimate academic year has arrived. She turned her full attention toward her studies like it was the only goal of her life and after graduation, she was planning to study Law.

After the conversation her father had that night almost a year ago with his sister, no one has brought up that topic again, at least she never heard about it. Except for the night when Maaz visited their house, after knowing about Abdul Rafay's proposal for Kanwal and to her surprise, he came to ensure Kanwal that she doesn't have to force herself because of others and that she will always have him standing by her side whenever she needs him, as a brother should be. Therefore, she calmed herself and was able to focus on her education, family, and the people around her. But how could she ignore the increasing visit of Abdul Rafay's family in her house and the glances he stole of her.

As a person, Kanwal really respects Abdul Rafay. He is a simple, well mannered, soft-spoken and kind person, unlike super active and mischievous Ahad. Kanwal couldn't help herself from comparing both of them in every way possible. And every time she does, Abdul Rafay gets more points than Ahad. Slowly, she also starts to see that he would be a good husband but she was unable to imagine him as her husband.

During Kanwal's summer break, Abdul Rafay got the chance to talk to Kanwal directly, unlike before, when their conversation would never exceed from Salam. It was the second day of Eid when Abdul Rafay visited Kanwal's house. It was an unexpected visit and Kanwal's parents weren't at home. Therefore, he gave the gift he bought for her saying 'Saima Baji sent this to you.' Although it was Saima's idea to buy something for Kanwal, he was the one who spent several hours trying to choose a suitable Eid gift for her.

"Thank you." Kanwal said, accepting the gift hesitantly. "I will thank Saima Bhabi too."

Abdul Rafay smiled and say, "I'll be going now. Say Salam to everyone." 

Kanwal nodded and closed the door. She felt bad for not letting him in but she couldn't do that and he also wouldn't come in knowing that she is alone in the house.

Kanwal was about to open the gift when a sudden knock on the door startled her.

Who is it now...?

She thought, while looking through the eye hole of the door and found Abdul Rafay standing outside, looking at the floor.

Settling her dupatta back on her head, Kanwal opened the door.

"Ji? (Yes?)"

"Um, sorry. I forgot about this." He said as he held out his hand holding a box of Mithai (sweets) with an apologetic look.

"Thank you." Kanwal smiled back, taking the box.

As soon as Abdul Rafay retracted his hand, the phone he was holding in the same hand fell on the floor. He was already feeling embarrassed by giving Kanwal a present like this and forgetting to give Mithai at the same time and things are now getting even more awkward.

Kanwal couldn't help herself from chuckling at his startled state. He also smiled hesitantly and abruptly picks up his phone.

"Okay, Allah Hafiz." Abdul Rafay said, taking a step back and Kanwal nodded in acknowledgement.

"Um Excuse me." as Kanwal was about to go inside, Abdul Rafay called her again.

"Ji? (Yes?)" She turned to him.

"Smile more often. Allah Hafiz." With that, he spun on his heels and left, leaving Kanwal stunned on her doorstep.

~*~

Walking into college the first day after the summer holidays, Kanwal takes off her wristwatch and stretched out to Mahnoor.

"Ya Allah! It's beautiful! Mahnoor exclaimed, taking the watch in her hands. It was the gift Abdul Rafay gave Kanwal on Eid night.