Chapter 6: An Invitation

Throughout the following day, you kept thinking you were hearing a beeping sound. You heard it at completely random points in the day. Trying not to go insane, you simply tried to tune it out. Didn't work. You tried to sleep to see if you were just imagining it. Nope. Going to your last resort, you plugged up your ears with cotton balls. Jackpot. Although it was a bit uncomfortable, you didn't mind that much as long as the beeping stopped. Then your mother started questioning you.

"(Y/N), why do you have cotton balls in your ears?" She asked you, slightly weirded out.

"Uhh... no reason!" You replied.

"(Y/N), take them out. Now. You don't even need them." She said to you sternly.

"Ugh, fine." You replied, saddened at the fact that you had to put up with the beeping noise.

The beeping kept happening at random points until about an hour before you were going to meet Lena. For a second you thought it was a coincidence, but the thought was quickly replaced with the conflict of telling Lena how you felt or not. This conflict had been bothering you all day, and it continued bothering you until you got to the bottom of the ladder up to the mall roof. You looked up at the ladder and proceeded to climb up to the top where you were surprised to see Lena already there.

"Hey, Lena!" You said as you walked over to the AC unit on which she was sitting.

She replied with a lot of excitement in her voice, "Hi, (Y/N)!"

"Someone's a little excited." You said, laughing a bit.

"Oh, you wouldn't believe!" She replied with her chipper voice.

She seems really excited about something, you thought to yourself. You could only wonder what was making her so happy.

"So, what's got you so happy?" You asked, anxious for her answer.

"Nothin'." She said with a sing-songy voice.

It was blatantly obvious that she was lying. That tone of voice suggested that she was hiding something from you. Of course, you didn't mind, as you were once again captivated by that beautiful smile she had on her face. Your face went bright red as you decided that it was now or never.

"Uhh, Lena? I can tell you anything, right?" You said hesitantly.

"Of course, love! You are like, my best friend and everything." She said back, smiling.

That last part stung a bit.

"Well, I uh... I..." You couldn't find the courage in yourself to finish.

"Well? Come on, spit it out!" She said impatiently.

You were absolutely dumbfounded. You couldn't find anything to say.

"Iwannabemorethanjustfriends." You spat out quickly.

You said it so quick that Lena couldn't even understand you. "What was that, love?" She said, a bit confused.

You simply replied with, "Nothing, never mind."

She looked at you with a confused face and said, "Are you alright, (Y/N)? You're sweating."

To be honest you were far from alright. You had never fallen in love with anyone before, and it absolutely terrified you. You were sweating and blushing a bright red.

She glanced at her watch. "Blimey! Has it really been 2 hours?" She said in disbelief.

You took a breath of relief and glanced at your phone. It read 12:46 AM. No way it's been 2 hours, you thought to yourself. Your thought was interrupted by Lena talking.

"Oh! Before I forget, here!" She said, reaching into her jacket pocket and pulling out a watch identical to hers. No one had ever gotten you a gift besides your mother, so you were beyond grateful. You took the watch from her outstretched hand.

"Wow, thank you so much, Lena!" You said examining the watch. It didn't have a number display, just a black screen. You were a bit confused as to how it told time. Lena noticed that you were confused, so she helped you.

"You have to double tap the screen to get it to turn on." She said.

You did as she said and double tapped the screen and the Overwatch logo appeared on the screen behind a digital clock. You thought this was the coolest thing and you were thankful that Lena cared for you enough to get you this.

"Lena this is amazing!" You exclaimed.

"Oh, don't worry, it gets even better." She said, grinning.

You were confused at what she meant by that but you smiled at her anyways. She glanced at her watch again.

"Well, I guess I'd better head out. Overwatch needs me for patrol." She said sadly.

"Ok, have fun!" You replied jokingly.

"I'll try." She said with a giggle before blinking away.

~Time Skip back to your bedroom~

You were on your computer when the watch that Lena gave you started glowing orange and beeping like an alarm clock. As you observed the watch closer, a gorilla's face popped up on the screen. It startled you at first, but what startled you even more was when it started talking.

"Hello. I'm sure you're very confused as to what a gorilla is doing on your watch so let me introduce myself. My name is Winston,  and I'm the current leader of Overwatch. I've heard a lot about you, (Y/N). About what you are capable of. Now I have a very important question: are you willing to use this power to save people?"

You were still confused as to what he was asking of you.

"Let me rephrase the question: will you join us at Overwatch?"

______________________________

Bit of a longer chapter today so I hope you guys enjoy this one!

also, ALMOST 300 READS?! I can't thank you guys enough for reading!

QOTD: What's Your favorite song? Comment away!

Mine is an instrumental but it's KaCe The Producer: Bad Guitar

Hope you guys have a great day! Cya

-insidiousxint