The Beginning

The Beginning: "Your heart's too big for your body."

Louis Tomlinson did the only thing a ten year old could do when in pain: he ran to his mother. With tears in his eyes, he tried to explain to his mother that he didn't go near the neighbor's dog like he promised, that he wasn't too rowdy with his friends, that he didn't do anything wrong; it just appeared, and it hurt.

Jay Tomlinson, as a concerned mother would, ushered him into the kitchen and attempted to calm down her son. He still refused to tell her where the pain was, but kept crying over and over about how much it hurt, clutching his arm; and that is when she knew.

She couldn't believe it at first. He was only seven- this was nearly unheard of! But the proof was there, and her heart ached for her son. She knew that if it started already, he would have a very difficult journey in front of him.

"Momma, what's happening?" Louis sobbed, curled up into his mother's embrace. She did the only thing that she knew she could do: she held him tighter.

xxXXxx

I did the only thing a seven year old could do when in pain: I ran to my room. I could barely hear my sister over my sobs, so she let herself in.

"They keep calling me it, Gem," I choked out as she sat down next to me on my bed. "Heartless. A heartless monster is all I am to them." I cried harder and curled into her lap. "They don't even give me a chance to prove that I'm not! I'm just worthless to them." I hiccupped as Gemma scratched my back soothingly. "Maybe I am worthless. Maybe I am heartless. That would explain a lot."

"Hey," Gemma said softly but firmly, bringing my head up to look me in the eye. "Would a heartless monster be sobbing over what those dolts call you? No, they would not." She held me closer. "You don't need to prove anything to them. You just have to prove it to yourself. And never, ever lie to yourself and become something else."

I sniffled and held her tighter, and took her words to heart. Yet another proof.