1 | Family

Family
a group consisting of two parents and their children living together as a unit.

synonyms: household, ménage; nuclear family; informal: brood

"growing up in the bosom of one's family"

Jungkook

I hear the front door slam open and closed and the familiar sound of my mother's shoes against the wood. However, another feature of her presence causes me to cringe and sink into my bed even further.

Alcohol.

Another set of feet scurries around the hallway, accompanied by a low voice most likely belonging to a man she has hooked up with at a nightclub. I hear them run upstairs and lock the door of my mum's room, giggling.

I feel sick to the stomach, wanting to be anywhere but here.

My mother used to be an amazing parent, always looking after me and making sure I was okay. She used to cook the most amazing dishes and always made enough to have seconds. She would wear her hair up in a messy bun and wear beautiful pastel dresses. They had matching ribbons that she tied around her wrists and she would always let me play with them when I was a toddler whilst she cradled me in her arms.

Then my dad left. Things changed. She lost it. She never wore beautiful dresses. No longer wore ribbons. She stopped caring.

I cover my ears with my pillow to drown out the banging and shouting, a tear trailing down my cheek and landing on the bedsheets. I close my eyes and think of anything; anything to distract me from this living hell.

-x-

Light streams through my curtains, glowing onto my face and warming it with a welcoming touch. I sit up in my bed and look around.

Everything looks normal. My window remains slightly open so I feel the soft breeze and hear the chirping of birds in the morning. The glow-in-the-dark stars I stuck on my ceiling when I was younger look down at me with drawn on smiley faces of sharpie. My desk holds many stacks of homework and school papers as well as a few Ironman action figures dotted around on the wood. It's all as it should be.

Footsteps snap me out of my train of thought, the sound getting closer and closer. I see my door swing open, my haikyuu poster disappearing against the wall. On the other side is a tall man with brown hair and dark eyes, dressed in a formal suit. His eyes grow wide as he sees me sat up in bed, glaring at him fiercely.

"Sorry, I was looking for the bathroom..." He laughs nervously, leaning against the doorframe casually.

"Next door on the left" I grumble, sorting out my hair which looks like I've been living in a hedge.

He nods but doesn't move. Instead, he examines the collection of Ironman figures dotted around my room with a small smile. He leaves the doorframe and enters my room without my approval and picks one up, chuckling.

"I used to love Ironman. Sorry about last night. We were both a bit drunk--"

"Get out my room"

He whips his head round and stares, then looks down at his feet in dismay. Slowly, he places the figure back onto my desk.

"I'm extremely sorry--"

"I said get out!" I shout, throwing my pillow across the room at him. He catches it with one hand, frowning. He simply nods and throws my pillow back, gently, then leaves.

I groan with frustration, hitting the pillow with my fists repeatedly to let out my anger.

Why was such a smart man hooking up with my mum? Why was he trying to be nice?