7 | Safe

Safe
• protected from or not exposed to danger or risk; not likely to be harmed

synonyms: protected from harm/danger, shielded, sheltered, guarded, defended, secure, safe and sound, out of harm's way, all right

"the children are safe in bed"

Jungkook

I gasp in the fresh cool air as I hop out of my mother's car and out onto the pavement. The house of the party is a little further down the street, however the embarrassment of being dropped off where everyone is watching did not appeal to me in the slightest.

"Be careful, okay? Don't be back too late!" Soojin lectures from inside the car, leaning over so that her face is in full view. In this dark lighting, you can hardly notice the marks of age present on her pale face that glows like the moon hanging in the night sky above.

"I know I know, don't worry! I'll see you later" I reassure her before shutting the door and watching as the vehicle begins to move away from the side and out onto the road. The headlights soon disappear and I'm left alone, the familiar thumping of music resonating from afar.

With a spring in my step, I venture towards the variety of sounds that slowly become louder and clearer. The house reaches into view and a crowd of teenagers can be seen on the front garden. As I get closer, I realise that between their lips is a single cigarette, an orange glow sparking from their tips and burning through the darkness of the night.

The stench of smoke fills my nose and I shamelessly hold my breath as I stride up the garden path and up to the house. The door is welcomingly open, music drumming in my ears before I have even entered.

"Jungkook!"

I watch as Jimin comes bounding into the entrance from another room, a grin plastered across his face at the sight of me. His blonde hair bounces with excitement and he reaches forward, grabbing onto my sleeve and pulling me inside. He guides me into the lounge with a harsh tug and I stumble into the room.

The space is filled to the brim with people; some carry paper cups in their hands filled with unknown substances that splatter onto the hardwood flooring as they jump up and down to the music; others grind against each other in a sensual manner that makes me feel rather uncomfortable and a few sit or stand around the room, chatting to friends or making out with people they have most likely only just met.

Jimin places a cup in my hand and smiles, saying something inaudible over the loud music that fills the entire house. I look down at the cup and it's filled with a strange looking concoction, the colour of it hard to pinpoint with the changing lights dancing around the room.

"Umm thanks..." I mumble but realise he won't be able to hear. However, somehow understanding what I meant, Jimin nods with his contagious smile that I return and pats my back before entering the swarm of bodies.

Looking down at the drink, I sigh before lifting the cup to my mouth and swallowing a large gulp of the liquid. It burns as it travels down my throat like acid but the strange thing is, I don't care. For once, I feel mature. I have another large sip and embrace the stinging that soon fades in my chest, shuffling closer to the mass of people before becoming a part of it.

Surrounded by bodies, I jump up and down with a grin that finds its way onto my mouth, bouncing in time with everyone else around me. I catch sight of the familiar face of Yoongi stood on the far side, leaning against a wall with a drink in one hand and his phone in the other. He seems to be texting someone. Who, I don't know.