Chapter 5

A low growl rose from Tomoe's throat.

"You dare threaten my master to my face? he hissed, his pupils narrowing into thin slits. "Do you have a death wish?"

"Oh, goodness no. I would very much prefer to walk out of here alive. However, peaceful negotiations rarely get anywhere and they take way too long, so I decided a little bargaining would be necessary." the blue-haired female cooed sinisterly.

"That's funny, your bargains sound an awful lot like threats to me."

"T-Tomoe, could you get off of me please?" Sakura interrupted, her face bright red.

"Huh?" Glancing down, Tomoe realized that in his haste to save Sakura, he had fallen on top of her and was currently straddling her waist. A rosy blush immediately flooded onto his face and he hastily scrambled off of her.

"M-My apologies. I did not mean to do that."

"Why am I stuttering? Gah, Nanami has made me soft!" he thought to himself.

Sakura said nothing as she quickly rose to her feet and spun around to face the newcomer. "I'm surprised to see you here, Hiromi. I figured you would already be at your brother's feet, begging like the dog you are for him to let you live with him and leech off of his successes again."

"How dare you accuse me of such things! Unlike you, I can care for myself and don't need to rely on others!" Hiromi roared. "Besides, I figured bringing my brother a gift would get me back into his good graces."

"And the truth comes out."

"Shut up! You can't even fight, you pathetic house pet! You should have just stayed behind on the the night my brother attacked Daichi's shrine and died in the god's place. Then your worthless existence might have actually meant something. However, instead you ran like a frightened kit with your tail between your legs and followed your father's heir with hopes of hiding in his shadow just like you hid in his father's. Familiar, ha! You're nothing but a lap dog! All bark and no bite! As soon as you're in danger, you flee, leaving your caretaker to perish, and find someone else to spoil you. I may be a leech, but you are even lower than I am."

Sakura took a step back as the woman's words pierced her heart. "T-That's not true."

"What's the matter, little kit? Did I hurt your feelings? Are going to run back to your master and hide between his legs again?" Hiromi cooed cruelly.

The redheaded yokai clenched her fists as she trembled with rage. "I-I AM NOT WORTHLESS!!! I AM NOT A LEECH OR A LAP DOG!!! I DID AS I WAS TOLD AND GOT MY BROTHER TO SAFETY!!! I-I AM NOTHING LIKE YOU!!!"

Flames the color of cherry blossoms sprang forth from Sakura's palms as she charged the bluenette intruder. Hiromi looked a little startled but quickly dodged the attack, tripping the hotheaded fox along the way. As Sakura fell forward and hit the ground with a thud, her flames eagerly gobbled up the green grass, setting the lawn ablaze.

Tomoe's eyes widened in horror. "SAKURA, PUT IT OUT!!!"

"I-I CAN'T!!!" Sakura cried as she desperately tried to fan down the flames.

"NOT LIKE THAT, BAKA!!! DON'T YOU KNOW HOW TO PUT OUT YOUR OWN KITSUBENI?!?!"

"NO!!! I CAN'T CONTROL IT!!!! TOMOE, HELP ME!!!" Sakura whimpered as the flames began to eat away at the bottom of her jeans. She frantically waved her still burning palms around in the air. "GO OUT!!! GO OUT!!!"

"FIRE!!! DON'T WORRY, NANAMI!!! I'VE GOT IT!!!"

"MIZUKI, NO!!!"

Sakura yelped in surprise as she and the yard were assaulted by a surprise downpour of water. Looking up, the redheaded fox saw Mizuki on his large white snake hovering just above her.