article 8

The Religious Implications of the Multiverse Theory

So many arguments and wars in this world seem to center around differing religious ideals, and varying scientific theories. Like political views, when these subjects are brought up, the passion people feel toward their own perspective can often make even the most rational conversations turn aggressive. When science and religion collide during these debates, the effects can turn violent, however; the argument can be made that scientific theory and religious ideals may be fundamentally based on the same principle, making almost all arguments appear moot to a casual observer. As a casual observer and researcher of both theology and cosmology; I have noticed numerous similarities between Abrahamic religious views and the multiverse theory, in that both theories offer humanity the potential ability to traverse dimensional boundaries. The only significant difference between the two theories that I have observed is that one theory requires you to die before reaching your destination, and the other will likely kill you in the attempt.

The Multiverse Theory Briefly

If you have ever read comic books or watched science fiction movies, you likely already have a basic idea of what the multiverse theory consists of. However, if you don't subscribe to these things, I will briefly explain. The multiverse theory basically theorizes that the continuous expansion of the universe has created various pockets of energy that are still expanding at even faster rates and have created several other pocket universes of their own. This cosmic inflation is what makes the multiverse possible. The idea of there being multiple universes all co-existing simultaneously are also a fundamental factor in determining the overall effects of string theory. Within the multiverse theory (which has its counterpart in Supersymmetry), our universe is joined by other simultaneously existing universes-each existing within their own specific physical laws. For example, in one universe; you exist just as you are now and the world is as you currently view it. In another universe, the laws of physics may work differently in that perhaps gravity causes everything to exist upside down (the sky and the ground are reversed). The possibilities are boundless with the multiverse theory. Basically, any world and variations of laws found within that world that you can imagine may and probably do exist.

According to MIT cosmologist

Level 1: Describes an infinite universe that, by the laws of probability, must contain another copy of Earth somewhere

Level 2: Other distant regions of space with different physical parameters, but the same basic laws

Level 3: Other universes where each possibility that can exist does exist, as described by the many worlds interpretation (MWI) of quantum physics

Level 4: Entirely distinct universes that may not even be connected to ours in any meaningful way and very likely have entirely different fundamental physical laws

The Multiverse According to Religion

In Abrahamic religions, the multiverse or parallel universe (commonly referred to as heaven or paradise) exists as a reward given to the faithful, obedient, and righteous individual. This utopia or return to Eden is only available to the dead who subscribe to the idea of a monotheistic God or Creator, and who abide by this deity's laws. The laws having been handed down to man via the Old Testament Prophet Moses (The Ten Commandments), also known as the Decalogue, are a set of rules that are described as being given to the Israelites by God at the biblical Mount Sinai. These laws are first mentioned in Exodus 20:1-17 and Deuteronomy 5:4-21. In the Qu'ran, these verses can be found in Surah Anaam, 6:151-153 and Surah Isra', 17:23-39. The Surah Isra' is more like a commentary on the verses found in Surah Anaam. If these laws are followed by the faithful in these religions, they shall reach the paradise known as Heaven for Christians (reached after global judgement upon the end of days, Gan Eden (Paradise or Eden upon Messianic resurrection after the end of days for the Israelites), and Jannah (Paradise reached after death, and upon the appointed resurrection on Yawm al-Qiyāmah.) for Muslims.