Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Warning/s: none that I can think of but I'm slightly delirious so

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin.

A/N: I had a dream last night that my pug had become a serial killer and I had to testify against her in court

"Merlin."

She refused to turn around. Turning around would mean seeing her husband standing there, in his armour, and that would mean that he would have to go to fight.

It had been two days of frantic stocking for Merlin, and frantic training for Percival. Now the Saxons had arrived and as Arthur had predicted, the Saxons were lying siege to the citadel, and all of Camelot's knights were needed.

"Merlin," Percival repeated. This time, Merlin turned around. She saw him in all of his armour, apart from his hauberk. "I will be coming back."

Merlin smiled weakly. "Didn't doubt it," she whispered, and moved forwards to help him with the hauberk. "Just...don't do anything stupid."

"That's your job," Percival said in an almost scolding tone. "Promise me that you won't leave the castle."

"I won't leave the castle," Merlin promised. Any spells she needed to cast could easily be done from her room. "Not until you're back."

"Good." Percival gathered her in a strong hug once she had finished slipping on his armour, squeezing her tightly. "I couldn't bear it if anything happened to you."

"I know," Merlin murmured. "Because I couldn't bear it if anything happened to you." She stepped back and swallowed her tears. She picked up Percival's sword and muttered something under her breath, and her eyes flashed gold.

"What did you do?"

"It'll just let me know if you're in trouble," Merlin said softly. "I can't do much else with it. But if you end up in trouble I'll know and be able to do something."

"Merlin," Percival said warningly. "No leaving the castle."

"I don't need to. I can do it from inside." Merlin sniffed. "Don't get yourself killed."

"I'll try not to," Percival tilted her head up, placing his fingers underneath her chin. "Love you." He pressed his lips to hers in a brief kiss.

"Love you too," Merlin whispered. She walked with Percival to the doors of their chambers and caught his arm. "I mean it. Don't die."

"I won't." They exchanged a small smile, one that spoke volumes of understanding and love, and Percival left.

As soon as he was out of her sight, Merlin felt a slight tingling in her chest. The spell on her sword was beginning to kick in. He was safe for now, so there would just be a soft prickling. If he was put into any type of danger, though, such as facing too many enemies or mortally wounded, the prickling would increase to a burning, and the image of him would suddenly rush into her mind, allowing her to save him.

Absent-mindedly, Merlin lit a small fire in her hand and let it grow and grow, until it was threatening to set fire to the curtain hanging above her, just licking at its tassels. For a moment, Merlin considered letting it, and then putting it out again, but her emotions could easily mean that she wouldn't be able to control her, and then her promise to Percival to stay safe would have flown out of the window.

Reluctantly, she allowed the flames in her hand to die down a little and then extinguished them completely. There were better, more productive things to die with her time, such as researching possible spells that she could use to help those both in battle and in the castle, or even just polishing swords for anyone who needed a spare.

Merlin decided to do the former, and lifted up one of the spare floorboards to reveal her book of spells. Healing spells would be a good idea for a battle, as would protection. If the Saxons somehow managed to get through to the castle, the innocent civilians would die and all hope would be lost. She had better get learning.

A/N: this is so shit i'm terrible at writing wooo