Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Warning/s: None

Disclaimer: I don't own Merlin.

A/N: Last chapter :)

Merlin was able to summon up a bath within seconds using her magic, which had rushed back to her full-force now that she could take down the protective wards. She didn't feel any less tired from it unfortunately, just a little less light-headed.

Her fingers fumbled with his armour but after a few minutes, the chainmail and plate were on the floor, along with Merlin's dress. The two of them settled into the bath, Merlin leaning against Percival tiredly as she related what she had been doing.

"No wonder you're exhausted," Percival said softly, pouring the hot water over Merlin's arms. "That sounds like powerful magic."

Merlin nodded tiredly. "It is," she yawned. "I'll probably sleep for a week now."

"Not if I have anything to do with it," Percival replied, with a hint of innuendo in his voice.

Merlin giggled and let her eyes close for the first time for two days. Distantly, she felt herself being lifted from the tub and dried gently, and then soft material against her skin and lying against something soft. "Thank you," she muttered softly when she felt Percival sink into bed next to her, curling into his side. Catherine settled herself down by her legs, snoring gently.

Percival was lying face down on the battlefield, a bloody knife protruding from his back. Around him the battle raged and more men fell, but all Merlin could focus on was her dead husband.

Merlin disturbed Catherine when she awoke and jumped from the bed, stumbling over to the window to suck in deep breaths of cool night air. She told herself that it was just a nightmare, and she knew that it was, but the image had seemed far too realistic for her liking.

She felt warm hands on her shoulders, and a chin came to rest on her head. She reached back with her arms to find Percival and continued staring out into the night. "Nightmare," she explained.

"Only natural," Percival mused. "Especially considering you haven't slept for a while."

Merlin nodded and turned around, collapsing in his arms. "Love you," she mumbled, barely legibly with her head buried in his chest.

"Love you t—" Percival was interrupted by a loud crash from outside. The couple jumped and peered outside to see what had caused the bang. For a second, they could see nothing, but then Merlin's heart leapt into her throat when she saw the main doors to the castle blown off their hinges, and the guards around all lying motionless.

"Who's that?" Percival's keen eyes spotted a shadowy figure stalking across the courtyard, and he pointed it out to Merlin.

"I don't know," Merlin said, with a sinking feeling of dread.