Chapter twenty four

I still don't know what to do. All I know is that Peter needs our help and I'm not letting him face down Jinx alone. Though, I don't know how much help I'll be considering my magic has no effect against Jinx and completely betrays me at a single touch from him. Regardless, we need to do what we can. I haven't seen any of Jinx's boys around but I don't doubt that they wouldn't be too far away in case Jinx runs into trouble. 

The boys are all looking at me waiting for me to give them instructions on what to do. Perfectly honest, I've never had to lead anyone before. I've watched my father captain a ship for years and I could probably mimic how he handles things but I don't know if that would work in our current situation. I guess I could just be honest with the boys but that could scare them and make them nervous. I need to be strong for them all. I take a deep breath and face the boys.

"What's the plan Kyla?" asks Benjy. All eyes are fixed on me, eagerly awaiting my word. I smirk at them, faking confidence and crouch down. I pick up a stick lying near my feet and begin drawing in the dirt. I lay out the plan to the boys as quickly as I can as we need to move fast. When I finish, they all take off running in different directions covering as much ground as possible. I stand and walk back over to the clearing. 

At first I don't see anything then a ball of fire flies in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. I see Jinx first, holding twin blades and a pissed off look on his face. His clothes are torn in various places with blood stains seeping through the material. A gash on his forehead is bleeding and pouring out over his face but he doesn't seem at all bother by it. His gaze is fixed on something across the clearing.

Peter. He looks much the same but his anger exceeds Jinx's. He holds his sword and a serrated dagger that looks deadly. I would hate to be on the receiving end of that blade. I step out of the foliage and stand there for a few seconds. Peter's eyes glance towards me and his face softens instantly. I nod at him but keep my expression hard. My head snaps back to Jinx and he has a twisted smile on his face. I snarl at him and ball my hands into fists. He lowers his blades and walks towards me. As soon as he takes a second step, I move away and head in the direction of Peter.

"Where do you think you're going missy?" Jinx says in a patronizing tone. I turn my head in time to see him barreling towards me but not enough time to react and I'm knocked to the ground. Jinx pins me to the ground with his knees digging into my shoulders. I turn my head to the side as it's in a very uncomfortable position. I let out a yelp of pain as his knees press me against the hard ground. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Peter start running towards us with his sword above his head and yelling like a barbarian. Jinx swiftly reaches under his shirt and pulls out a small throwing knife and flings it at Peter. It sinks into his shoulder and he drops his sword, grabbing for his arm. Jinx pulls out another knife waiting for Peter to advance again and he does. Jinx lets another one fly and this too finds it's target in Peter's upper arm. He doesn't stop to pull this one out and throws the blade to the floor. 

Both of his wounds are seeping through his shirt, soaking it with blood. While Jinx reaches for another knife, I swing my legs up and wrap them around Jinx's throat. I pull my legs down hard dragging Jinx with them and slamming him into the earth. I scramble to my feet, scrambling away from Jinx and over to Peter. I grab his arms to steady myself and turn around to face Jinx who is staggering to his feet. 

I place myself between Jinx and Peter hoping that Jinx won't try to go for him while he's behind me. Jinx stands there for a few seconds as if contemplating what to do next. I'm only trying to buy time while the boys get into position. I'm merely a decoy and I'm hoping that Jinx doesn't realize that. 

"What now, princess?" Jinx asks in his patronizing tone that I hate. He's doing everything he can think of to piss me off at this point and it's working. I thrust my hand out to the side and Peter's fallen sword flies into my open palm. I bring it up in front of me and grasp it with both of my hands. I underestimated how heavy this thing is as it doesn't look that heavy. It's a long sword and not overly bulky. Peter holds it with only one hand, making it look as light as a feather. This thing is so heavy.