Chapter fifteen

When we get back to camp, I collapse in front of the fire. Pan sits down near me and the boys all sit around the fire awaiting the others to return. It's quiet at first but then Slightly strikes up a conversation which gets everyone involved, even Pan. The boys seem a lot more relaxed compared to out in the forest.

I glance over at Pan and he's already staring at me. He flashes me a slight smirk and I smile back at him. He shifts himself closer so that he is now right next to me.

"I'm sorry for losing my temper with you. I never should have hit you and I shouldn't have reacted that way," he says and I can see the sadness and regret in his eyes. "I'm glad you're back. I've missed you." I smile and bow my head to hide my blushing face. 

It doesn't take long for the rest of the boys to join us. They all seem happy until they notice me and they all fall quiet. Not the welcome I was hoping for. They all position themselves around the fire, as far away from me as they can get. I must admit, this doesn't make me feel a hundred percent about coming back and I am actually slightly offended, but I can't blame them for being cautious.

Some of the boys greet me or at least offer me a welcoming smile, but most won't even look at me. They completely avoid eye contact. Pan obviously notices. He takes my hand in his and squeezes it slightly. He offers me a reassuring smile, which I return lightly as I'm not as optimistic as he is. He turns and climbs to his feet before addressing the lost boys.

"Boys," he shouts over the noise and everyone falls silent. "I know the last couple of weeks have been strange and very tiring with all the extra responsibility of watching Jinx's base. As of right now, everything will be going back to normal now that Kyla is safe and home with us. I'm cancelling all patrols and you are no longer required to watch Jinx and his boys around the clock."

The boys are all delighted by this announcement. They all look relieved that they are no longer burdened with babysitting me anymore. I feel sorry that they've had to do this the past few weeks but I was glad for it at the time. It made me feel a lot safer as I'm still getting to know the island. Pan silences the boys and continues speaking.

"By now you should all know Kyla," he says gesturing to me. " She is not nor has she ever been an enemy of the Lost Boys. You are to treat her the way you had before everything had happened." That wasn't a request. The boys all nod but avoid looking at me and it sets me off.

"What the hell is your problem?!" I shout at them all. That gets their attention. "You never had a problem with me before you knew who I was, when you only knew me as Kyla Shade. But know that I'm Kyla Shade 'Hook's daughter' you won't even look me in the eye? I had no say in my parentage. You can't hate me because of who my father is or what I am."

All the boys look at me, no I think stare is the word I'm looking for, contemplating what I had just said. I glare at them and quite a few of them look away in shame. The rest just look at each other, waiting for someone to say something. After what seems like forever, someone finally does.

"Kyla, I think I speak for all of us when I say that I'm sorry," says a boy, I recognize as Benjy. He walks forward towards me looking directly at my face. He is one of the older boys and the younger ones look up to him. "The boys were frightened. Most have never seen Pan like that before and it had them all worried. It had everyone worried. Hook is one of our biggest enemies and you being his daughter... Everyone panicked. You're right and none of us should have acted as we did. If you'll accept my apology on behalf of all of the Lost Boys?"

"I accept your apology. Thank you Benjy. I know it must have been quite a shock but to be real, why else would I be on that pirate ship? Young girls aren't exactly given to pirates to raise."