Light it up

When we finally got to the restaurant, we sat down at a table. We all ordered our food and we were now waiting.

"So, I don't mean to be the snoopy mom and get into your business and all, but what's the relation status for you guys now? Ross? Beth? Rydel?" Stormie asked. Ross and I looked at each other.

"I'm still happy with Ellington." Rydel smiled.

"Yeah, and I'm single. I'm gonna stay single for a while, too. I've hurt this family too much already from jumping around. I'm really sorry about that." I said.

"Oh don't worry honey. We're all here as a big happy family now. Except Riker and Mark, but Riker chose not to come so it's his own fault. And is Mark still at work? Does anyone know?" Stormie asked. We all shared a quick glance.

"I'm not sure, he must be working late tonight." Rydel made an excuse.

We talked all about their trip and got caught up with everyone else's life. Eventually, it was time to go home.

When we got home, we all sat in the living room and waited until one of us got the courage to tell her.

"Mark should be home soon, I hope. He won't pick up his phone." Stormie sighed.

"Mom, I need to tell you something." Rydel said. Stormie looked at her in concern. "Dad has been cheating on you with a different girl..." Stormie was shocked, her jaw dropped.

"That f*cker!" Rocky jumped up.

"Rocky, calm down." Ryland pulled him back down. "Are you guys sure about this? How do you know?"

"Yes we're sure Ryland." Ross said, annoyed. I just realized Stormie was silently crying.

"Mom..." Rydel said, putting her arm around Stormie. She put her head in her hands and started sobbing.

I looked at Ross, we were both getting teary eyed. I held his hand for support.

"Mom, I'll sleep in here with you tonight. We can sleep on the fold out couch, okay? I'll make some tea." Rydel said, getting up and waking to the kitchen.

"Ross and I will go upstairs and get some blankets." I said. Ryland and Rocky were in shock. They didn't move. Stormie sat there sobbing.

We ran upstairs and went to Stormies room. I went to grab her pillow when Ross tugged my arm. I turned to look at him, he looked so sad I wanted to cry.

"Come here." I said quietly, pulling him in for a long hug. He left a lingering kiss on my forehead.

"Thanks. For everything." He whispered just before he pulled away.

He left to go to Rydel's room and get her stuff as I gathered Stormie a few blankets and pillows.

I walked downstairs and pulled out the big couch into a bed, laid the things out and went to say beside Stormie. I put my arm around her and leaned my head on her shoulder.

"I'm really sorry this happened. I meant for this to be a nice family get together, this wasn't what I expected. I'm just glad we found out before it got worse... You're like a mom to me. I love you, Stormie." I said. I didn't want to bother her any more so I got up and went to meet Rydel in the kitchen.

"Tomorrow we can take all of Marks stuff and throw outside and have a bonfire if you want? Just don't tell your mom, she might get even more sad." I suggested.

"Okay, you guys can do it once she falls asleep tonight in the living room with me. I just don't want her in her room if it has his stuff in it." Rydel said.

"Okay. Make sure she gets some sleep, and you get some too. We will burn the stuff." I said.

I went upstairs to meet the boys and tell them our idea.

"Okay, I'm in. His stuff deserves to be burnt since he did that to mom." Rocky said.

"I'm gonna stay inside, I have to FaceTime my girlfriend. Oh, by the way, I have a girlfriend now." Ryland said.

"Nice little bro. And I'm in, too. Let's start now." Ross said.

"You girls could give her room a makeover and she can have a walk in closet and such, since his things are gone now. I think she will be happy with a room makeover." Ryland said.

"That's a great idea! I'll text Rydel and tell her so Stormie won't her me tell her." I said.

Me: ryland had a great idea. we give her room a makeover this week, since his stuff will be gone. also, is she asleep so we can start a fire?

Rydel: that's a good idea and yeah, light it up

"Okay, we can start the fire. We need to collect all his stuff and then throw it out the bedroom window into the back yard." I said.

We went into her room and started with his dresser.

"Just throw the entire thing out. Mom doesn't have anything in there anyways." Ross said.

Him and Rocky picked it up and worked it carefully out the window as I looked at all the belongings that were on top of the dresser.

There was a pack of gum, I kept it. Mostly it was just a bunch of crap but I found a picture. It was of Ross with me on his back, Rydel and Ellington standing together, Riker on Rocky's shoulders, and Mark kissing Stormie on the cheek. I remember this day. It was when Ross had his 16th birthday party, just when everyone else left. Good times.

I quickly tossed it into my room and came back to see them still struggling with the dresser. After a few more seconds, they got it out finally.

We threw his favorite blanket and pillow out, all the clothes he left behind (we think he has most of his clothes at the other girls house), and anything else of his we found in the entire house. It wasn't actually too much.

We all went outside, Rocky poured some lighter fluid and Ross lit it up. I was satisfied.

Everyone got a few beers and we slowly started sipping on them. I laid out a blanket and we all sat on it, leaning against the house watching the fire and looking at the stars.

"I actually can't believe this ever happened. They were the perfect couple." Rocky said.

"I know. They were what I always wanted to have in a relationship." I said.

"I caught him with his tongue down some woman's throat." Ross said, angrily.

I put my hand around his arm. I wanted to comfort him but I wasn't sure how, so I let go and continued drinking my beer.

"Maybe it's for the best." I said.

After that, it was silent. We didn't say a single word. We say out there until the fire was completely out, and silently walked inside, still not talking.

Ross and I went to our room and laid down. We stayed on our own sides and didn't even talk. We just sat in bed, staring at the wall.