Chapter Six

The guards narrowed their gaze as we passed by. Nothing, not even their clunky helmets, could hide the accusations in their scrutiny. The same initial shock of recognition that I had noticed in Pipes and Deakon now stood on the faces of the guards. But they didn't seem as pleased to see me. I tried to ignore it but couldn't. The hair on the back of my neck stood on edge, and every muscle in me tightened. I wanted to run and hide. I walked, slower than I thought possible, not wanting to give them any more reason to question me.

I held my breath as we walked across the wooden bridge and entered the busy marketplace.

"Good luck," Pipes whispered, brushing past me.

"Huh?" I asked, dumbfounded by my surroundings.

"Good luck," he repeated, leaning closer. "Heed my words: get what you need and get out. Lindle's not a safe place, especially now. Especially for you, even if you know what you're doing," he said. He bowed theatrically and patted Deakon on the shoulder. Their painted smiles didn't erase the concern in their eyes.

Deakon nodded in agreement and gave me a solemn look. "If you need anything, look for help within the trees." He pointed to a small patch that I hadn't noticed before sewn into the cuff of his costume. It was a large oak with a castle at its base, the Dreamscape logo.

"No, you can't leave me," I said, grabbing the sleeve of Pipes' cloak.

They exchanged a glance and then Pipes looked down to where I gripped his sleeve.

"I only mean that I don't know my way around the market yet. I should have an escort," I corrected myself, letting go of his sleeve and pulling my shirt down.

"I suppose we can do that my lady. We need to get ready for our show, but our stage is on the other side of the square. We can show you on our way there."

"Perfect. I'll follow you for now."

Deakon hesitated, glancing around at the crowd.

"I know what I'm doing, remember?" I raised an eyebrow.

Pipes shrugged at Deakon and held out his arm. "My lady, we go this way."

"Why thank you," I said with a smile.

Deakon grunted and sped through the crowd, vanishing into the throngs of merchants along the outer edge.

Pipes pulled me back. "Not quite yet. Let him go ahead. There's no telling what's waiting for us at the stage."

"What aren't you telling me?" I narrowed my gaze.

"Nothing more than you already know. We may have left out a few details, though."

"Like what?" I asked in a whisper, forcing a smile.

"Well, when we heard about King Helio, we left in a hurry. A few of the shopkeepers were upset at that."

"Why?" I asked.

"We do drum up a bit of business for the town with our entertainment. Let's just say, a few were a bit upset when we left unannounced."

"How upset?" I asked.

Pipes adjusted his collar and chuckled. "Their henchmen followed us for a few miles into the woods."

"And then?"

"Well, we are trained with our weapons," he said.

"So, you just—"

"Defended ourselves, my lady. That's all we did. Seems it's all we've been doing lately. I hope you're here to change that."

I swallowed hard. "We can hope. Can we go yet?"