Chapter Seventeen

The morning sun attacked me with its blinding light as dust swirled around me. I rubbed my eyes, wiping away the sleep and dirt. After our fight, I didn't dare return to the tavern. I couldn't. There was nothing more for me to say. I would have to wait for Arrow to lead me to the highway, and then we'd go our separate ways.

I'd slept outside, curled up in my cloak under a fallen sign. The shrieking wind had jolted me awake throughout the night, providing a much-needed break from my troubled dreams.

The doors to the tavern burst open. The men barreled past me with surly grimaces and grunts. The few that pretended not to see me scuffed up dirt or kicked my cloak on their way across the street.

After the sleepless night, I didn't have the energy to fight their accusing eyes as they lined up. It didn't take much effort to guess what they thought about me. It came through loud and clear. I had transformed from hero to traitor in one day as if I bore a scarlet "T" stamped on my chest. If I wasn't the bad guy here, why did I feel so guilty?

Arrow marched through the dusty street, his hair falling in front of his dark eyes. He stopped in front of me and dropped my bag at my feet.

"What's this?" I asked, cautiously squinting up at him.

He ignored my question and looked over to the men gathering across the street. "I would stay over here until we're ready to go," he said. The anger left over from last night simmered beneath the surface.

"I'm sorry," I said, pursing my lips.

"So am I."

"Is there anything?" I asked, letting the thought linger.

He scoffed and brushed his hair back. Dark circles surrounded his eyes, and deep lines etched his forehead. "No, you've done enough."

"That's not what I meant," I said, shaking my head.

"Meant or not, Goldy, it's the way it goes," he said, turning away.

I nodded and watched him leave. His shoulders softened as he walked back, as if the weight of dealing with me had been lifted. Really, though, it had just been transferred onto my shoulders. I sunk deeper under my cloak and clutched the bag, teetering on the line between denial and complete devastation. I hadn't felt this alone since waking up in this world.

The warmth on my hands surprised me. Peeking into the bag, I breathed in a rush of steam from fresh rolls, which warmed my cheeks and turned my stomach. Everything else was there: a new cloak, money boxes, the remains of the money I'd taken, and, tucked underneath it all, an oversized package of vines. The gnawing hole in my stomach doubled in size, and tears welled up in my eyes.

How could he do this? This generosity confused me. Everything about this world confused me.

I leaned against the gate, closing my eyes while I waited. Maybe if I had told Arrow earlier, this could have been avoided. Could it have, though? He seemed just as determined as I to have things play out on his terms. I thought back to the manor, the missteps and close calls. Both our agendas twisted around each other.

I sighed. Replaying the past wouldn't change anything. One thing I knew from playing the game was that when you finished a level, you couldn't go back. Whatever level Arrow belonged in was finished. It was time to move on.

The wind picked up, and Arrow and his men formed a line. My breath caught in my chest. They walked past me without a glance. I jumped into line, leaving a significant distance between us. Dust swirled up from the ground, and I covered my face, trying to keep from choking.