Chapter 4

IV: Exhilarating Madness

December 1, 2013

“Let me get this straight.” Oliver said when I told him about my idea a few hours ago. I told him everything including the dare. Might as well let him know what he’s signing up for, right? “You’re going to try and persuade me to love,” He paused and spat the word out. “Christmas?”

“That’s the plan.” I replied when I sat down on one of the sofas. It was a really slow morning and all of us lounged around, waiting for customers. I saw Gavin and Carol sit closer to us, trying not to make it obvious that they were eavesdropping.

“Well, then.” He said then thought of what to say next.

Honestly, I was expecting him to be mad or something, to shout at me again for agreeing to an impossible bet. To my surprise, he smiled.

“A lot of people have tried, babe. My sister, my best friends even my girlfriends.” He said putting his feet on the table and folded his arms behind his head. “I’m pretty sure you’ll be as unsuccessful as the rest of them. You might as well give up now and let Gavin win.”

“Told you it’s preposterous.” Gavin smirked, now joining him on the couch in front of me.

“Oh, please.” Carol said as she sat down beside me. “You’re talking to Miss Christmas over here. She can make the busiest of businessmen drop their phones and go snowman building with their kids.”

“Come on Oliver.” I whined. “I have dirty dish duty and maybe two weeks’ worth of ice cream on the line!”

I batted my eyelashes and smiled hoping I could charm my way through this like he does through life. Gavin and Carol looked from me to him, wondering if my powers would work. Sadly, he just looked at me smugly and said, “A pretty face won’t make me say yes, Ellie.”

 “What’s your price, Hastings?” Carol hissed from beside me.

“A kiss from you, my vicious adversary.” He winked at her. Carol made a gagging noise while Gavin laughed. She glared at Oliver fiercely. He didn’t seem to mind though. She was pissed that she wouldn’t get the chance of free pie for a week.

“You said you’d do anything!” I exclaim, giving up the nice girl act and throwing my hands up in frustration.

He seemed to think about it, as in really think about it. I actually got my hopes up but then he shot them down with razor-sharp candy canes. “Nope.”

“Oliver!” I said, frowning at him.

“Fine.” He said finally, holding his hands up. “I’ll do it.”

 “Yes!” I jumped up happily. I could almost hug him!

But I won’t of course.

“Suck on that Gavin!” Carol pointed at our friend tauntingly.

“Celebrate all you want girls.” He said with a stuck-up smile on his face. “But I’m pretty sure he’ll give you a hard time.”

Now I was lugging my sled to the top of Slider’s Hill. It was a famous hang out in the park for teenagers and kids alike. It was a double hill and wasn’t very steep which makes it perfect for sledding. The snow layered on the hill was thick and powdery, a good thing.

I reached the top and surveyed the park. This was probably the highest point in the place. There weren’t any people sledding today which is surprising since four is the usual time the hill gets packed with excited kids and their parents.