Chapter 11

XI: Christmas Movie Marathon

December 12, 2013

“Thanks for dropping me off, Gav.” I said as I unbuckled my seatbelt.

Gavin does have a car but he rarely uses it since he believes that the smoke’s very harmful for the environment. Carol says that that’s total crap and that he could save time and energy if he would just use the darn thing. He stood his ground though. So we mostly walk around or take the bus.

He offered to drive me today since his mother sent him to run errands at this side of town and it was on his way.

“No problem, Elle. Have fun!” Gavin smirked.

“Bye.” I rolled my eyes and got out of the car. I held the brown paper grocery bag tightly as I walked up the front steps. I turned back to wave at Gavin; he honked in response before driving off.

I pressed the doorbell and waited, knowing that Oliver would probably take forever to open the door again. Surprisingly, the door was opened in less than a minute and it was opened by his sister.

“Elle,” Kelsey looked surprised at first but then she grinned at me. She looked very prim and proper in a sleeveless, boat neck, dress and black blazer. “Come in, come in.”

I went inside. “I’m sorry for dropping by without a warning, Kelsey.”

“It’s alright. As I said the other day, you’re welcome anytime.” She told me, leading me to the kitchen. “I’m just surprised that you’re still putting up with my obnoxious brother.”

“I heard that.” Oliver strolled into the kitchen in board shorts and a damp shirt with his hair wet.

“Good.” His sister smiled. “And didn’t I tell you that whenever you use the pool, you shouldn’t be dripping when you go up here? You’re getting the tiles wet.” 

Oliver completely ignored his sister and turned to me instead.

“So, Ellie, why are you here?” He asked, resting his palms against the island counter. “Can’t get enough of me?”

I scrunched up my face and said, “Not even close. I was thinking we could have a Christmas movie marathon if you weren’t doing anything.”

“That’s an awesome idea. He needs to experience one of those.” Kelsey said as she fixed her hand bag. “I’m going out in about five minutes, kiddo.”

“Don’t call me that.” Oliver glared at her.

“But it annoys you, so I will.” She said as she reapplied her lip gloss.

“I’m not sure about the Christmas movie thing, Elle.” Oliver turned to me.

“It’s on the list so you kinda have to.” I said, shrugging. “There’s ice cream at stake here, Oliver.”

“Fine, I’ll get changed.” He huffed and went out the room. I sat on the kitchen stool to wait. Kelsey dropped her gloss in her bag and stared at me with a brow arched.

I fidgeted slightly under her gaze. “What?”

“Nothing.” She said with a smile. “It’s just that you two have been spending a lot of time with each other and you look like you don’t mind it.”

“I want him to not hate the holidays so,”

“It seems to me that that isn’t the only reason.” She winked before strutting out of the kitchen with her bag in hand and her car keys in the other.