Chapter 15

XV: Fairview Winter-fest

December 18, 2013

There is nothing a student loves to hear more than the sound of the bell ringing, signaling class is over. In this case, school was over. Well for the season that is.

I was beyond excited. Christmas is right around the corner and so is the annual Winter Ball. In preparation, I was in the school courtyard helping out a friend in the committee.

“And lastly, do you think we should lock the doors so we’ll really be sticking to the theme?” Tessa asked, tying her blonde hair up in a ponytail. This year’s theme was ‘Trapped in a Snow Globe’ and she was the head of the Winter Ball Committee. Since her committee-mates couldn’t agree on anything, she took it upon herself to decide everything. We already discussed most of what she wanted to discuss. We were just finishing up.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” I said, taking a sip from the juice box I managed to get before heading over here. “A few of the students are claustrophobic. Locking them in a room packed with people would get ugly.”

“Right, right.” She said then scribbled on her notebook.

“So what did you have in mind for the decorations?”

“Oh, that’s taken care of. That was the only thing Benjamin and Brianna could agree on.”

“They should really stop arguing already and date already. They obviously like each other.” I said, thinking about the love/hate relationship my classmates have.

“That’s exactly what I think.” Tessa agreed, swishing her coffee cup in the air. “Everybody can see it but them.”

She then slipped her notebook back in her bag, along with her pen. Her phone rang. She looked at the caller ID before looking at me. “Sorry Elle, but I have to go. Thank you so much for agreeing to help me with this. It’s such a shame that you didn’t join the committee this year.”

“If I wasn’t so busy, I definitely would have joined.” I said, standing up. In other words, if Oliver hadn’t come along I would have jumped at the signup sheet.

“Hopefully next year you will.” She grinned at me. Her phone after becoming silent began ringing again. “See you at the fair!”

Before I could reply, she was already barking at the caller on her phone. I shook my head thinking ‘Tessa, ever the busybody’. She probably just squeezed me in on her ever-hectic schedule.

I was walking towards the front entrance when Carol fell in step with me. “Done with your meeting?”

“Yup,” I hitched my backpack higher up my shoulder. “Let’s go home.”

I saw Oliver a little way in front of us. He was laughing with his buddies. He looked up and when he saw me, he smiled. “Hey Ellie.” He gave Carol a nod of acknowledgement.

My best friend rolled her eyes. I blushed and turned my head away. I kept my head like that until we passed him and his friends completely.

She glanced at me then did a double take. “Oh God, no. You’re blushing?!”

“What? No, I’m not.” I denied.

“Is it because of Oliver?” She questioned.

“It’s cold in here, Carol.” I said calmly in a matter-of-fact tone. But I was freaking out that she caught me. I’m not ready to tell her about the crush I have on him. I know she wouldn’t be mad or anything but she’ll definitely be saying ‘I told you so’. Nothing is more annoying than Carol the braggart. “I would be surprised if you didn’t blush.”