Prologue

||:Teaser:||

'I don't want to be part of it anymore.'

'You don't have to worry about that from now on, because I'll always be here for you.'

                     ||:prologue:||

The soft patter of the girl's feet against the earth was almost soothing. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. It was rhythmic, relaxing.

Ahead, the forest floor was littered with dry leaves and twigs. But the girl was trained. She would pass over them like a ghost.

Stepping on the coppery, mottled carpet of leaves, she new what she had to do. She didn't want to, but she had to. There was no other choice. She was born to be this, so why go against it? It was all she knew.

Time stood still as the girl made her way up the slope toward the top of the cliff. She knew he'd be there. She pulled a hood over her hair and sunk into the shadows, just like she had been taught.

It was now or never. The words of her mentors rang clearly in her head.

'A steady heart means a steady hand.'

'The shadows will aid you.'

The world became calm.  There was nothing but the girl, the sword, and the boy. Even the wind faded into nothing.

The girl made her move on the boy. Although he still hadn't noticed she was there, his muscles were tensed. Ready to jump up at any moment. The girl noticed this and stayed silent, waiting for his muscles to relax.

Soon enough, they did. The boy seemed to be at peace with the world. The girl advanced again, making sure to stay silent and unnoticed.

She pulled out her sword. It shone in what little light was left at dusk. She crept over to the boy, unknowing he could sense she was there. She began to hold her sword up, ready to bring it down and end the boy's life.

But the boy's quick reflexes led him to get away from the girl, getting her in a choke hold, although not applying full pressure.

"Why are you here?" Came the boy's cold tone. The girl knew better than to reply to him, countering the move and fighting the boy off.

Shortly, the girl had edged the other toward the end of the cliff, and in one final move, pushed him off.