E M E R Y · 0 5

E D I T E D : J U L Y  2 9 ,  2 0 1 7

•°•°•

"My God honey, what happened to you?" Marissa, my boss/coworker asks, rushing over as I limp into the pizza shop.

I shoot her a weak smile. "Fell down the stairs. You know, me being clumsy and all," I lie. That's been my excuse for the past few days, as people noticed my huge limp and other injuries.

"You should be more careful, Emery," she says, frowning. "You can work behind the register, so you can rest  that leg of yours."

"Thanks," I say, sighing in relief. "I really appreciate it."

"Of course, honey!" Marissa says, waving it off. She's pretty much my only friend, and she's in her early thirties with two kids. That's how pitiful my friendship skills are.

Unless you include Seth, then I have two.

I take a seat behind the register, dropping my ratty backpack onto the ground beside me. I let out a sigh, letting my head fall into my hands as I think about this morning.

"Emery! Get your ugly ass in the living room this instant!"

My eyes widened in fear of what would happen this time. I scampered out of my bed and hurried to my mother. "Yes, Mom?" I asked, my voice small.

"Don't act so fucking innocent! I know you've been stealing my money!" She screeched. It was hardly her money, because I worked for it. But she was right, after every weekly paycheck I put a little aside for myself in a savings account. It was a measly five dollars or so each time, but I didn't think she'd notice.

"Of course I'm not stealing your money," I said reasonably. I mean, I'm not lying, am I? "I told you two weeks ago they cut all the employees paychecks down five dollars."

"Well make them give you a raise!" Mom snapped. "I need money for some more cigarettes, you're always giving me a headache!"

She started advancing towards me, an empty bottle in hand as always. Suddenly she flung it at me, thankfully missing my bruised shin, but hitting my thigh instead.

The glass bottle shattered against my leg, shards cutting through my jeans and into my already scarred skin. I let out a shriek as blood started flowing down my leg, tears springing into my eyes.

"I'm sorry!" I cried out, cowering away.

"Sorry doesn't cut it, bitch. I should've gotten that abortion when I had the chance," my mom muttered, her eyes flashing dangerously. "I'm going out for a drink. Don't expect me to be home for a couple days."

And with that, she walked out the door.

•°•°•

  "You can go home, sweetheart. Get some rest," Marissa says, smiling at me. "Eat a good dinner, do whatever you kids do these days."

"Sure. Thanks, Marissa," I say, smiling gratefully. "I'll see you tomorrow."

I grab my backpack and hobble out of the pizza place. I start on my way home, knowing I won't get into trouble tonight. My mother will be gone for at least three days or so.

My old, crappy BlackBerry phone started ringing. I looked at the cracked screen, frowning at what I was met with.

Incoming Call:
Your Knight In Shining Armor (Seth for short)

I answer the call, holding the phone up to my ear. "Hello?"

"Hey Emery!" Seth chirps from the other side. "How's it going?"

"Um, good?" I say awkwardly.

"Great! What cha doing?" He asks. It feels weird to be having such a normal conversation with Seth Finley, the most popular guy at school. It feel weird to have a normal conversation with anyone.

"I just finished my shift at the pizza shop," I tell him. "Uh, why do you ask?"

"I thought that maybe we could watch a movie. My dumbass friends are at some party, so I'm lonely," Seth informs me.

"I see. And what makes you think that I want to watch a movie?" I ask. "Fuck!" I hiss, my leg exploding in pain from stepping down too hard.

"Emery, are you okay?" He immediately asks, concern evident in his voice.

"Y-yeah. I'm great. Good. Fantastic," I say through gritted teeth. I gently sit down against a wall, and glance down at my leg. Blood is seeping through my jeans, meaning I probably ripped the stitches I gave myself. Shit, this isn't good.

"No you're not, I can tell. Where are you? I'm coming to pick you up," Seth says. I hear a rustling, probably him pulling on a jacket. I stay silent. "Emery?"

"I'm here. You really don't have to get me, it's like eight o'clock-"

"It's fine, really. I want to. Now where are you?" He persists.

I sigh. "I think I'm right outside of that nail salon a couple buildings over from where I work."

"Okay. I'm on my way over. I'll be there in ten minutes, tops. Call me if anything happens, okay?"

"Okay. Bye, Seth." I hang up, and sigh again. I'm not going to lie, it actually feels kind of nice to have someone that cares about me. I haven't had that in a while.

Not since the incident.

•°•°•

"Shit, Emery, what the hell happened?"

I wince as he rushes over, frowning. "Why's your leg bleeding?"

I shrugged. "Um, I tripped and fell in a pile of, um, rocks." Really, Emery? Rocks?

Seth sighs, and I can tell he doesn't believe a word that came out of my mouth. "I know you're lying, Emery. But I'll just pretend that a what happened, okay?"

I look down, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry. I just-I just can't tell you."

"It's okay. We all have our secrets. Come on, I'm taking you to my house. My mom's a nurse, she can help you," Seth tells me. He wraps an arm around my back and under my knees, being careful not to touch my bruise and cuts.

"No, I'm fine-"

"I'm having a major sense of deja vu, you know?" Seth says, completely ignoring what I said.

"Yeah. But I'm fine, you can just take me to my house-"

"Okay. Look. I'm going to take you to my house, where my mom will help you. End of story," he says firmly. I can tell his not going to budge.

"Okay," I mutter. He sets me in his truck and buckles me in. "But at least let me-"

"Nope. You're not giving me any form of payment, going to your house, or anything of the sort. I mean, unless it's a kiss, because I'll take that," Seth says, winking.

I roll my eyes. "In your dreams."

"Definitely."

•°•°•