S E T H · 1 8

E D I T E D  :  S E P T E M B E R  6 ,  2 0 1 7

•°•°•

"-and there are the computers where you put the orders in," Emery finishes. "Now put on an apron and grab a notepad and pen."

I grin cheekily. "Yes ma'am."

Emery rolls her eyes and cracks a smile for the first time since before lunch. She was in the bathroom for a while, and I'm starting to wonder if something happened.

I do as she says, grabbing a black notepad and a blue-inked pen. "You'll just be shadowing me today, which means that you'll follow me around and see how everything works. If you want to, you can do a few of my tables," Emery offers.

I pretend to fan myself. "I'd be honored to do the Emery Clarke's tables," I say in a falsetto voice.

Emery tries to fight off a laugh, but fails. She punches my arm lightly. "Funny. Come on."

I follow her towards one of her tables, where a family is sitting. The two kids are playing Rock-Paper-Scissors and the parents are looking over their menus.

"Good morning, my name's Emery and I'll be your waitress today. What can I get you guys to drink?" Emery puts a smile on her face, but I know it's probably her 'work smile.'

The woman smiles back. "Dr Pepper, for me, please," she says. "And two Sprites for the kids."

Emery nods, writing it down. "And for you, sir?"

"Coke," he says, closing his menu.

"Alright. Do you guys know what you want to order or do you need a minute?" She asks.

"Two kid-sized pepperoni pizzas for them. And we would like a supreme pizza to share," the man's says. I watch as Emery scrawls it down in her loopy handwriting, curving her wrist to avoid smearing it.

"It'll be right out," she says, smiling softly. Right as we go to walk to the computers, the woman calls us back.

"Wait!" Emery turns around and raises her eyebrows.

"Yes ma'am?"

"I have a question. It may be a bit personal-"

"-don't do it Celine-"

"-but are you two dating?"

Her husband cringes, burying his face into his hands. I start blushing slightly. I wish.

Emery shoots me a smile over her shoulder. "No, he's just the newbie," she says, winking.

"Oh. Well, I think you would be a very cute couple," the woman says, her grin never faltering.

"Thanks," Emery and I say at the same time. We glance at each other, then look away.

Then we awkwardly head for the computers. Someone's going to have to break the silence, so it might as well be me.

"So how do these computer things work? They look like they're from mars," I comment.

Emery smiles, but not her 'work smile,' a genuine smile. "Yeah, they're a little tricky at first. But after a couple times they're easy."

She walks me through it, talking as she types in the order. I find it hard to focus on the computer, because Emery is standing right there. How can I focus when she's so close?

"Got it?"

I blink slowly, then realize she's talking to me. "Oh, yeah. Sure."

Emery rolls her eyes. "Don't worry, I'll show you again next time."

I smile sheepishly at her. "Thanks," I mumble, scratching my neck.

Emery nods, grabbing her pen again. "There's another table," she says, gesturing to a group of of people sitting down.

"I actually need to go to the bathroom," I say. "I'll be right out."

She shrugs. "Don't let me stop you," she says, smiling a little. "I'll be over there or here."

"Okay."

I head for the bathrooms, locking the door behind me. I rest my hands on the countertop and look into the mirror. My face is all flushed.

What am I, a thirteen year old girl? No. Get it together, Seth.

I sigh and lock my jaw. I can't keep acting so stupid around Emery. If I ever want even a sliver of a chance with her, I need to be my normal self. My self before I met her. Before she messed me up in the head.

Before I started liking her.

•°•°•

Hey y'all! This chapter is super late and super short. I am so, so sorry! I started school last week and I have been swamped since. Homework, soccer practice, spending time with family, the works. All in all, a lot of crap.

I need to finish the epilogue for Guarded Hearts, start the sequel for that and I need to write this story. Don't expect any updates soon, but it might happen. Probably not.

Thanks for being patient, y'all! I love you :)

-Taylor