f o u r

*a week later*

The minute Taylor sees the envelope sitting in her family's bright blue mailbox, she stuffs it in her coat pocket, to make sure it is only seen by her eyes. She has been expecting this letter for a few weeks now, and has both anxiously awaited and dreaded its arrival.

Realizing that she's being immature and selfish, Taylor takes the letter out of her pocket. Her parents aren't home and the street is barren. Who else would see? The address, written in black metallic ink, glistens in the winter twilight.

Scott Borchetta

Big Machine Records

Nashville TN

"It's the moment of truth," Taylor says to herself. Breathe in, breathe out.

If this letter had come at any other time, Taylor would have been over the moon--she would have been absolutely ecstatic. A few months ago, nothing was tying her to her hometown, except her parents, who she would have had to leave anyway, when she went to college. She had wanted to leave. That's why she sent a sample CD of her music to Big Machine Records. A quick escape.

Now, things are different. It hasn't been that long since Taylor packaged up her album and sent it to Tennessee, but she feels like her life has changed so much. Her and Karlie were friends before, but ever since Karlie's soft lips found themselves pressed to Taylor's rosy cheek, Taylor has been thinking about their friendship, wondering if it's just platonic, or something more. Did she even want it to be something more? What exactly were her feelings towards Karlie?

A chill wind comes over her and she shivers, bringing her back into reality. Figuring it's better to go inside, where it's warm, she holds the letter tightly in her hand and shuffles up her driveway.

Now all cozy and warm in her living room, with the fireplace creating an aroma of heat, a cup of hot chocolate on the table, and a couple of cats curled up at her feet, Taylor decides to open the letter. The paper is as crisp as the winter air outside, but begins to wilt as Taylor's tears fall.

After reading the letter through, Taylor sets the tear-soaked paper aside and picks up her phone. There's only one person in the world that she wants to talk to in this moment.

"Karlie, it's Taylor. Let's go for a drive."

"Are you crying? Taylor, are you okay?" The voice on the other end of the call offers a mix of surprise, concern, and comfort.

Taylor wipes the tears away from her eyes and grabs her car keys. "I'm okay. I need to go for a drive and I want you to come with." Before Karlie even responds, Taylor is already in her winter coat and heading into the driver's seat of her family's pick up truck.

Karlie can hear the engine revving through the phone.

"I'll be at your house in 7 minutes." Taylor ends the call and backs out of her driveway.

--------------

"Is everything alright?" Karlie glances at a very concentrated Taylor, who is trying to navigate through the snowy roads.

"I'm okay, as I said before." Taylor says distractedly, looking over her shoulder before she hesitantly changes lanes.

"You know, it is possible to say that you're okay, but actually not be fine at all." Karlie sighs. She's happy to be here with Taylor, to be spending time with her outside of school, but something is off. Taylor is not acting like her normal self.

"Sorry, driving makes me tense. I've been in a few crashes before. Oh, shit, that's probably not the most comforting thing to hear when you're in the passenger seat." Taylor wants to look over at Karlie. She wants to see what Karlie looks like in the passenger seat, what beauty she brings to this wild night. Eyes on the road, Taylor.