03; Wheelchair

The silence of my room was almost deafening to my ears.

Beeping monitors and ticking clocks became the usual routine of sounds that the silence was now driving me nuts. I could never get used to this.

The quiet. The darkness. The loneliness.

Of course, I hated those things, because I felt it too often for such a long time. But, tonight, I thought it was going to change.

It started with a sudden loud sound that was coming from the door that was slowly opening. It was too dark for me to make out the figuring slipping past the door. The figure was too swift, moving too similarly to a ghost.

But, the ghost was, in fact, Park Jimin.

"What are you doing?" I hissed.

It was eleven o'clock at night when I saw Jimin walk quietly into my room. If he were to get caught visiting over non-visitor hours, he'd be done for. Not to mentioned kicked out and never to come again. He shushed me as he closed the door, cringing each time the door creaked.

"Isn't it obvious? I'm trying to visit you," Jimin barked back at me.

I pulled my blanket higher to cover my legs, "I meant to say: why are you here at this time?"

He tiptoed to my side and took the covers from me, "We are going on an adventure."

I was bewildered to hear such a remark from him but, at the same time, he was the same random kid that walked into my room without at least knowing me. I shouldn't be surprised at all.

"At this time? Are you sure about that?" I questioned him. He replied with a small nod.

"You know I'm paralyzed from the waist down right? If we get caught, you wouldn't be able to run away because of me," I clarified to him, just to make sure he got the memo.

I have a lot of insecurities and fears. This would be one of them.

"Trust me." Was all he told me and although his expression was soft his eyes were wild like spreading fire.

I simply nodded and forced myself to move closer to my wheelchair. I felt a sense of a burning excitement inside of me and at the same time, anxiety. It was a good combination of emotions I haven't felt in a long time. Jimin opened the door and lead me out. A rush of anxiety stripped away my excitement when we were greeted by the pitch darkness of the hallway. The only source of light we had was the exit sign and the moonlight coming from the window in my room.

Darkness.

Another thing I feared. I don't scared about a lot of things, but it was just the things I couldn't see or understand. I looked back at Jimin who had a big grin on his face. It was a reassuring smile, a smile that told me to relax and have fun.

"Ready?" he asked me.

I smiled doubtfully, but nevertheless, I took a deep breath and nodded, "Let's go."

He laughed quietly as we started to move slowly down the hall. It started as a normal stroll, occasionally hitting a wall or bumping into something. We stayed like this for a while, passing by closed doors and sleeping staff. It was a good feeling to move around without any supervision. Something I might only experience once in a lifetime. However, there was a question that was bothering me.

"Jimin-ssi. I have been wondering..."

"Hm?"

"Why haven't you asked about my condition? Aren't you curious about what happened to me?"

We suddenly stopped moving and I felt Jimin let go of the handles of my wheelchair. In a blink, he was in front of me, knelt down on one knee. I couldn't help but admire his features that were defined by the soft rays of the moonlight.