Chapter eight

Beautiful new cover by The BookQueen 77

*******************************
-Ahmad-

The bride walked in amidst drumming and music with the bridesmaids trailing behind her. My eyes search for her and for a moment when I caught sight of her, I held my breath. She always has that effect on me..... she takes my breath away.

The bride looked beautiful in an A-lined satin and lace dress in egg shell white. The head piece was decorated beautifully with lots of crystals and semi-precious stones. It is absolutely gorgeous.

I remember her saying the dresses she makes are crap, but seeing the bride, I have to admit she makes elegant crappy dresses. Obviously, the dress was a hit among the ladies as I caught several discussions concerning it.

She sat two tables from mine along with my sister saudah and two other men, one of whom happened to be the groom's second cousin and the other who I don't recognize. Meanwhile, I was seated with Lola ( I am sure my mom has something to do with it ), together with my cousin Abdul Kareem with his girlfriend sharifat.

I have been attempting to talk to her since morning, before the wedding fatiha but I couldn't. I know she's leaving by the early morning flight tomorrow so it's has to be today.

Halfway through the reception, an idea came to me and I sent a text message to my sister asking her to give the phone to Ameena. She swerved in her chair and cast me a confused glance, then she shrugged and handed the phone to her which also made her equally confused. The other guy at her table said something and she smiled. My heart constricted and I felt the urge to punch the guy straight in the face because by all indications he is flirting with her.

"Excuse me I need to make a call."

Okay baby, make it short." Said Lola

I went out to the parking lot and made the call asking her to meet me there. The sun is beginning to set and a little later I begin to wonder if she is coming, just then I saw her approaching looking so calm and graceful and suddenly all the words I have planned on saying vanished into thin air. I was speechless.

"Salam alaikum"

Wa alaikumussalam" I replied

She remained silent, waiting for me to say something and at that very moment I felt like a total idiot. I just said what came to my head.

"It looks like it's going to rain soon....you know, the weather here is so unpredictable.....it rains all year round.

The weather? Really?

I shifted uncomfortably the way in which she stared at the sky and said 'hmm'. This was going no where I have to do something fast.

"That was quite an Impressive dress you made."

"Thank you" she said.

Come on, I said to myself, I can't be this bad at expressing myself. So with the most sober voice I could come up with, I asked her,

"Have you ever felt as if you have known someone for a long time, when in reality, you just met?...that, that person is indeed whom you've been searching for all along?"

"Like some sort of de javu?" She asked.

Right. It's exactly how I feel after I met you..."

"Stop! Please...I need to go back inside."

As she turned around, I panicked and without thinking, I blurted out the words.

"I am not your father!"