Chapter eleven

-Amina-

As the days changed into weeks and the weeks into months so did my peace of mind. I was slowly going back to my normal routine, which includes spending half the time hidden in my room or up on the tree. Except for few times when mama asked me to do something or a relative who dared to bring their materials for sewing. I am still a long shot from being an actual designer but I do a little bit of tailoring in Deejah's room.

I think less and less of him as time passed by. I bid adieu to my short love life, that is if I could call it that. Come to think of it, he never professed his love for me, but I would like to think he would have on that evening. Is there anything as love at first sight?
Maybe he just likes the idea of me that's all or... Hell I don't want to think about what would have been or couldn't be. They don't matter anymore.

Whenever I and Demi talked, we avoided his subject. She never hinted anything about him and that was fine by me. Although there are times I couldn't help but think of him even if it's just a fleeting moment. But these days, I cook less and even if I am idle, I have succeeded in blocking all thoughts concerning him.

So you could say I have moved on.

The harmattan dust is beginning to blow in the north and it's getting colder and dustier by the day. Mama will go nuts when she comes back and finds me seated on the tree. But believe me nothing beats sitting on a branch with something to eat and getting your shit together.

Before my tree matured enough for me to climb, it was Ya Salim that helped me clear my thoughts. Now that I think of it, I wondered if he has any idea what this tree means to me. Whenever I needed to clear my head, I go up the tree and made sure to bring a seasonal delicacy. Boiled groundnuts, corn, tiger nuts...you name it, anything in season.

Today, I have with me a fairly long stick of sugarcane. After I chewed almost half of it, I started thinking, between the rainy season sugarcane and the dry seasoned one. Which one taste sweeter? I made a mental note to remember this taste and compare it with the one in April. Ha! That was a genius thought. I will probably be the first to give a detailed account of how the seasons affect the change in taste.
I pictured me in a room full of learned people who are in awe of my discovery and a loud applause sounded as I descend the stage and... into the air... THUD!!

Ouch!! My back hurts. I can't believe I let myself fall again.

After an embarrassing situation not very long ago, I promised myself never to fall from the tree again. The memory is still fresh in my head and it hurts every time I think of it.

I was seventeen then and as usual I got carried away and I fell face first on the ground, while I was trying to get up, I heard a chuckle.

"you know, if you keep on like this, you are going to give us a hard time getting you off our hands. You should learn a thing or two about being a lady if not... "

And he laughed long and hard again.

"we would have to offer to pay your dowry the way the Hindus do before someone will accept you."  Ya Salman said while looking down at me.

I tried to hold back the tears that was welling in my eyes. Then I heard another voice.

"you could at least say sorry or ask if she's hurt. "

I looked gratefully at Ya Salim as he came closer and helped me to my feet. Ya Salman shrugged and said, instead of spoiling me and allowing me to do whatever I want,  it's about time someone told me I am girl and I should start learning to behave like one. With that, he left and went into the house.

"Am sorry" I apologized to Ya Salim.

" Why will you be? Come. Sit." he ordered as he sat on a bench in the backyard.

You know those times when you are trying to act brave and someone pets you and then you just burst out crying instead? I did the same. And amid the tears I asked him if he thought I was an embarrassment to the family.

"Of course not... Why will you say that? Is it about what Salman said? "

"no... "

"listen, you are an amazing person, strong and honest. Anyone will want you in their family. No matter what anyone says, always remember this...you are the best sister anyone would wish for. Now, when is the screening exercise in your school? "

I knew he was trying to change the topic. But I won't allow it.

"Pft... Everyone knows I am a bad sister, ask Deejah if you don't believe me.

"your relationship with Deejah is just a misunderstanding and someday when you two grow older, you will realise you both love each other more than any of you will care to admit. "

"we will see about that...and the honesty -thingy... I think I forgot to tell you... I accepted money. sometimes to the tune of hundred naira and goodies to bring you those letters." I said while trying to avoid eye contact. But what I didn't expect was the sound of his laughter.

"of course I knew that too. And I still meant everything I said. So don't go feeling bad just because some airhead wants you to, Okay? "

And I nodded. Ya Salim has always been my rock, my support and that day was no less. The year he left for his youth service was the worst in my life. But ever since he came back, things picked up right where they were left off.

Back to the present. I tried to get as much dried sugarcane bagasse out of my hair as I can, but a lot has stuck and so has the dust on the ground. I looked around the backyard and I remember mama has been after me to sweep it for days (mama is the 'clean your own mess' kind of woman, hence she won't let the help sweep my mess) and I failed to do so and the yard is littered with dried sugarcane bagasse . I cursed when I realized I wasn't wearing any scarf to cover my messy hair. It will be hard to go to my room without mama seeing it. I just hope she is not back yet

After a lot of picking at my kinky, mid length hair, my hair was sticking out in all directions making a striking resemblance to the wicked witch of the west.

I went through the kitchen door, into the living room and I froze...

********************************
So how are you liking the story so far? What do you think of the twin brothers

Vote
Comment and share