Chapter 14

Alexa's mouth went slack at the president's announcement. She slumped into the couch.

Ross shook his head, stone-faced and wrapped his arm around her. "That's the most horrific news I've ever heard in my life and I had friends killed on 09/11."

"I can understand the logic behind this decision. But it is horrifying." She cuddled into him. In a way, she did agree. The pregnancies must cease, lest the human race be consumed by cannibal children.

"I'm pro-life all the way and this is going to spin a lot of heads. One thing's for certain ..." Ross let go of her and stood, adjusting the firearm under his jacket. "They better be ready for a war.

"Why's that." This time she took his outstretched hand. He nearly hoisted her off her feet.

"You've heard the saying 'Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned?" His eyes held her in a trance.

"Never mind 'Hell hath no fury ...'" She glowered, breaking his pseudo hold on her.

The dim glow of the monitor accentuated his chiseled jaw and made his eyes sparkle as he looked back at her. "All I'm saying is that this is going to get bad, very quickly."

"There are three pregnant women who work in this office. I've received emails from several more on maternity leave. This is one office. How many are there just like it in the world at this moment?"

"Thousands, I gather." He rubbed his nose with two fingers.

"Headache?" she asked.

"Concerned."

His empathy was commendable.

A commotion came from outside the room. People barreled and shoved, headed for the east side of the building.

"This can't be good." She went to the doorway.

Ross closed the gap behind her. His massive body towered over her tiny frame. "What's over there?"

"The balcony."

"Why would they be gathering around the balcony? Holy shit." He pushed her aside and dashed into the billing room.  He weaved around cubicles. 

Alexa stayed close behind him. A crowd had gathered in front of a large storm window and double glass doors. They stared and whispered amongst themselves.

Her assistant, Ray, stood in the doorway; his robust frame blocked the crowd from entering the balcony. He was talking to someone outside, his words drowned out by the melee.

"FBI. Let me through." Ross held his badge high above his head as if warding off a seven-foot vampire.

The metrosexual Red Sea parted.

Alexa kept a steady pace with Ross as he sifted through the group of onlookers. She fell a tad behind. He reached back and she took his hand, not wanting to lose him again.

"What's going on?" Ross asked Ray, who ignored him, his attention focused beyond Alexa's line of sight.

Ray spoke slow and steady. "Charlotte. Please don't do this. Think about the baby."

That's when Alexa saw her. One of the many congratulatory emails she'd skimmed over a couple of weeks ago. The newly-pregnant lab assistant had crawled over the rail; her hands barely grasped the metal bar behind as she leaned over the edge. Tears dropped hundreds of feet below, and she gasped huge amounts of air between sobs.

"You have to let me talk to her." Ross turned Ray around. "Ray. Let me through."

Ray stood his ground. "If she's gonna listen to anyone, it's going to be her boss." He nodded at Alexa.

"Taking orders from someone who can discipline her isn't wise," Alexa said.

Ross smiled at Ray. "Let me out there, I've dealt with jumpers before. I'll bring her back."

His cool confidence sent a chill to places within her mind and body which hadn't been tapped in more than a year. But smug still came to mind.

"Okay." Ray moved out of the way.

Ross turned to Alexa. "Stay here, too many people out there might spook her."

"I have no problem with that." In her mind, she didn't have an issue with staying put, she would only talk the girl into jumping. Her people skills weren't the best in sensitive situations and at times like this she'd rather get it over with, in the most efficient way possible. Somewhere deep inside, she did feel sorry for the woman. She remembered a time when she too had been four months pregnant. The smell of tuna fish and ham sandwiches came to mind, making her stomach rumble. Not the worst cravings to have. What if she'd been forced to terminate her pregnancy? A lump welled in her throat.

The thought of having to abort Teagan spoiled her insides. Now, every pregnant woman in the US would be forced into destroying their unborn children. Hopefully, Ross could talk this woman off the ledge. But who would talk the millions of others off their respective ledges?

Please comment and vote. You'll make this old whippersnappers day.