Chapter 42

Ross wiped his sweat covered palms down his slacks one at a time. Then made sure he had a firm grip on the shotgun. What would he do if Curly wasn't still chained up? He hoped to find a living Trill in the back of the trailer, but wasn't optimistic given the carnage up front. Worst case scenario, he'd been freed and now several live Trills stalked the area. He ducked and crept under the closed door, scanning the inside with his flashlight.

"Damn." The backboard hung empty from snapped chains.

"What," Teagan whispered.

"He's not here." Straps torn to shreds lay on the ground at his feet. A set of bloody footprints led toward the front of the truck. His light illuminated them one at a time until they reached their horrific end. Two tactical team members lay crumpled in bloody heaps against the inside wall of the trailer. Their chests splayed open like a bomb went off inside.

"Where do you think they went?"

Ross jumped and whipped around. His light illuminated Teagan's face. He hadn't realized she'd been following him. "You scared the shit out of me."

"Sorry."

"Just stay behind me." The footprints led out the door and into a field beyond the wreckage. They disappeared into tall tufts of grass.

"Damn. We lost him. Let's get Beef and get the hell out of here." He softly took Teagan's arm and started to lead her back to the SUV. A scream sent a white-hot chisel of fear up his spine.

"That's Ellie!" Teagan screamed and lunged forward.

Ross grabbed her by the waist.

She struggled against him. "Let me go asshole!" Her fingernails clawed into his arm.

He swung the shotgun over his shoulder and covered her mouth. "Shhhh."

She shook her head, mumbling under his hand.

"We need to be quiet and out of the Trill's line of sight."

Snot and tears dribble onto the back of his hand. She continued to struggle and let out muffled cries.

The black SUV rocked side to side. He could make out the backside of the naked Trill attacking Ellie. Poor girl. Shouldn't have let them come. Should've left them at the Goddamn gas station. This death was on him.

Together, they backed under the door and to the back of the semi. "We'll hide in here." Their only chance of survival meant staying out of sight. The old cliché 'Out of sight, out of mind' came to him.

"Teagan, there are three of them outside. We don't know where the other two are. We need to stay quiet and out of sight until the coast is clear. You understand?"

She nodded.

"Are you going to be quiet?"

With a faint whimper, she nodded again.

"Okay." Ross took his hand from her mouth and wiped it off on his shirt. Then he remembered a piece of equipment he'd left in the car, his cell phone. Hopefully, Teagan had hers.

"Where's your phone?"

Teagan fished in the back pocket of her jeans and pulled out the iPhone with pink sparkles. He took it and led her into the furthest corner of the truck where the backboard also blocked them from view. With his thumb, he surfed through the contacts list for the one person he thought might be able to help them, or at least send help: Mom.

Please comment and vote if you liked the chapter. Thanks for reading.