Once Max is in his car, thankfully not having been seen by Capable, he clutches the worn boot to his chest and leans his throbbing head against the cracked leather of the steering wheel. Wave after wave of 'oh shit oh shit oh shit' rolls over him.

Max had been certain that, after he had married Jessie -may god rest her soul- his feelings for Nux had left. But, here he is, he thinks bitterly, having an anxiety attack over dormant feelings that had turned out not to be so dormant.

He feels sort of betrayed by his own heart and brain, and like he is letting Jessie down. She is always in the back of his mind. Jessie and their babe, both killed way too soon.

Sighing through his clenched teeth, Max sets the boot down on the passenger seat.

Massaging the ache out of his jaw, Max starts the car and lets out a startled yell when the headlights illuminate a rather annoyed looking Cape.

Switching off the lights, Max waits until Cape has set the boot on the dashboard and folded her long legs into the passenger seat before waving sheepishly at her.

"The hell, Rockatansky?" she asks, crossing her arms in annoyance.

Feeling heat rising in his face at being scolded by someone in their mid-twenties to his 31 years, Max shrugs helplessly.

"I was worried about the kid....about Nux. 'Went to check on him, and I fell asleep," he says, drawing his shoulders about around his ears in attempt to be smaller.

Sighing good-naturedly, Cape reaches over and pats him on the cheek, saying reassuringly, "I'm not mad at you, Max. I just worry about you sleeping in a chair, and how bad this is for your knee."

This statement of such obvious and unabashed caring makes his stomach fill with a sort of curdling warmth that just further confuses him.

Dropping his shoulders and running a hand through his hair, Max turns to Cape and puts his hand on his shoulder.

Forcing himself to look her in the eyes, he says gruffly, "thank you, Capable."

Noticeably perking up, Cape nods and exits the car, saying something that sounds like 'go get him, tiger,' before going back into the hospital.

With his breaths coming easier and less hurried, Max switches his headlights on and backs out of his parking space and into the world of a bright 6 am sunrise.