5

Several months later

Leilani was now working full time with the Senator, she had nearly forgotten about Ben.

Now her days were filled with dinners with the Senator, meeting diplomats in the afternoons, making sure a building was safe for political meetings.

Her hair had been cropped back shorter than before. It hung just above her shoulders when it wasn't in a tight bun at the base of her neck.

Even Leilani's physique had changed quite a bit, her days of roaming around the halls of the Solo home were very different from months of rigorous training.

She now rested in her room and looked over future mission plans. Her hair was down and hung around her face as she studied. She wore a loose red tunic with black leggings underneath and tall black boots. Simplicity was the key word of her new lifestyle and Leilani didn't mind it all that much.

A gentle blue light suddenly started flashing from a round table in the corner of her room. She pressed the button and a familiar face appeared on the screen before her.

"Ben!" Leilani cried out, she wished that he was really there so she could touch him, feel him, know that he was okay.

"Hey princess," he smiled brightly. "I've missed you."

"I missed you too."

"Mother and father say you work for he Senator now."

Leilani noticed Ben's features as he spoke, they were sharper, more defined and mature. His hair had gotten longer, it hung down over his ears in dark locks.

"I do, never thought I would have a job in politics but here I am."

"Oh Lani, I've really missed you a lot. It feels like it's been years." She could hear the pressure being built in his voice.

"It's only been 11 months."

"You've counted?"

"Of course." She chuckled. "You look so grown up now."

On the hologram Leilani could see that he was wearing a plain white shirt, undone about halfway down his pectorals. She assumed that he had probably spent the day flying some new ship his dad had bartered for and taking leisurely walks around the garden. He was probably wearing those tighter flight pants, with sturdy leather boots.

"Lani? Did you hear me?" Ben's voice broke through her thoughts.

Leilani blushed deeply, she had been thinking about those flight pants rather intently.

"Oh sorry, just thinking." She cleared her throat.

"Always got your head in the clouds. I asked if you could maybe come to see me on my last day home."

"I could ask the Senator. Nothing is for sure though. Even if I do get to come I could be called back at any moment."

"I understand, I just have to see you again." Ben did sound very wanting, as if even this hologram was making his distance worse, only seeing and not touching.

"I'll see what I can do, bye Ben."

"Bye Lani, I love you."

"I-I love you too Ben." She stammered in reply.

The hologram shut off and she was left in shock of his last words.

"That big beautiful idiot does love me." She thought to herself.

---------------------------------------

After being accepted for a leave of duty, Leilani packed up her bags to go back home. She was released for a few more days than expected. Three to be exact, she would surprise Ben early and stay for longer.

Leilani already had quite a few of her belongings still at the Solo house and only needed to pack a few necessities in her bag. The excitement from seeing him again after so long was eating away at her deeply.

Her stomach churned and rose to her throat even thinking about it.

"He said he had to see me again. And this is the first time he has said he loves me." Leilani thought out loud. She raced in thought about what he could possibly want. "Maybe he just wants to see me again, it's been almost a year."

She zipped up her bag and carried it to the hanger, her tunic flapping about in the wind of the open hanger doors. It felt refreshing to even be near the outside, she was usually confined to the buildings where the Senator was, leisure times had to be spent where she was available so the outdoors were not an option.

"Are you ready?" The pilot asked, flipping switches and dials.

"As I'll ever be." Was her reply, they took off to her home.

Was she really ready for what awaited?