7

The next morning arose and Leilani was awakened by the planets native animals singing out. The idea of Ben's proposal still clattering in her brain.

Leilani really wanted to tell him yes, theres nothing in the galaxy that she would want more. But that feeling of being pulled back came to her gut again.

She rolled out of the soft white sheets and made way into the adjacent bathroom. Leilani ran a hot bath and poured in some strong fragrances to help relax her.

As she soaked in the soapy water, Leilani tried to come up with reasons why telling him yes would be wrong. Nothing came to mind.

"Why can't you stop second guessing every thing?" Leilani grumbled to herself. She only had one more day with the Solos before she had to return to the Senator.

Leilani stepped out of the tub and dried off. She wrapped herself in a towel and pulled her hair back out of her face. For a few moments she simply sat on her bed watching the birds and various other things fly around from her window. She missed home, she missed being able to race Han, and having Leia fuss at both of them for being reckless.

She missed the way things were and how simple things could be. Now she was older with a demanding job and a life changing offer on her hands she felt absolutely terrified.

A knock on the door shook Leilani from her thoughts. "Who is it?" she said standing up and heading to her closet.

"Its me, Ben." The voice replied.

"Just a moment." Leilani scrambled for a robe to cover up with. She grabbed a plain emerald green robe that drug the floor and was held with a sash at her waist. "Come in."

"Good morning Lani." Ben said with a devilish smirk.

"Morning Ben." Leilani pulled her hair down from its fastening and began to brush the long locks.

She could see him staring at her through the mirror.

"What can I help you with Ben?" She asked turning around to face him.

"Uh, I just wanted to know if you wanted to go for a ride with me."

"A ride on what?"

"Actually, in what. We're going to take that T-5 Ground Runner out for a spin today." Ben's smirk grew into a smile as he watched Leilani's jaw drop open.

"No way. I was dying to take that thing out before I got called into service."

"Well today is your lucky day." Ben said leaving the room so she can get dressed. "Meet me in 7 minutes!" He called back.

---------------------------------------

Leilani arrived at the hangars ready to go adventuring with Ben like they used to do.

"Wait a second. Isn't this thing only a one person vehicle?" Leilani said looking at the black ship.

"Thats okay." Ben said with a wink. He climbed inside with ease and put on a helmet. Leilani climbed up next and sat between Ben's legs. The fit was snug but it actually worked.

Leilani put on her own helmet and felt her breathing catch in her throat as she realized the closeness of Ben.

"Are you ready?" He asked through their intercom.

"I've always been ready."

The engines fired up and the adrenaline rushed through Leilani's veins. She didn't know if this buzz was from the heat of the only person she's ever loved, or the excitement to ride in the T-5 Ground Runner.

They quickly took their course across the small planet.

The lush green forests that surrounded the Solo properties changed to a more desert scene, then the grey ocean appeared in the distance.

Leilani felt the ship slow as they made their descent to the pale sands. Ben got out first, helping her down from the cockpit.

"Lani..." He breathed, his eyes searching hers with an almost crippling sadness, "nevermind" came out as a frantic murmur as he stalked away.

Leilani knew what he was going to ask, and she wasn't sure how to answer the question. She was never sure.

"Why do you keep me in agony?" Ben finally spoke, the white sunlight bouncing off the grey waters and making everything have an ethereal glow.

"Ben-I..."

"Please, just marry me, make me happy, put me at rest." Ben got on his knees before her, his large hands clasping hers.

"I-I-I can't. Ben-I can't answer you." Leilani felt her own heart crushing with the pressure of the situation.

"Don't you love me?" Ben asked, his eyes wet with tears.

"Of course I do Ben. You're the only man I've ever loved." Leilani clasped his face.

"Please," he took a deep breath, "just please, marry me, I ask you with everything in me. If you love me."

Leilani looked up at the waves, they crashed against pale rocks, the sound almost deafening. When her eyes looked back to the man before her, it got sickeningly quiet. Her hands itched and her head spun. Why was this so hard? If she loved him why did this sinking feeling pull her down?

"Please." He whispered with desperation.

"Yes." She finally answered. That feeling rising more than it ever had before. "Yes I will marry you Ben."