Captain

Song to listen to when you're reading this: On Cloud Nine by Sungha Jung

In their second year of primary school, the students had the chance to choose their own tables to sit at everyday. Baekhyun had immediately grabbed Chanyeol and Sehun before rounding up Kyungsoo, Sooyoung and some girl he had never talked to before. Her name was Jumie and she had been long time friends with Jaehee. If Baekhyun wanted one, he'd have to take the other.

Luckily for him, a table needed six students anyways.

On the very first day, after the tables were put together and the students got to know each other, the kids all needed to choose a team captain. They weren't told why, but Baekhyun didn't really care anyway, he was excited to vote for a leader.

Kyungsoo was a strong contestant to become captain because of his clean record with the teachers but Baekhyun insisted that he was too two-faced to be the captain. (Which earned him a pinch on the cheek.) Sehun was too irrational, Sooyoung was too biased towards the girls, Jumie was too nice, and Baekhyun, well, he was Baekhyun. He just wasn't cut out to be the captain. In the end, the only one left was Chanyeol and the entire table seemed skeptical about having him as their first choice. After all, for the beginnings of their first year, he had been hiding in the corner of the class by himself and they didn't think that that was a quality a captain should have.

So the six of them were stuck on who would be the best choice and right before Baekhyun could tell them all to just shout out the first name that popped in their head, the teacher clapped her hands twice signalling the end of the meeting.

Baekhyun looked around, slightly panicked. "What are we going to do?" He hissed under his breath. "Who's going to be the captain?"

No one gave him a reply except for Sehun who shrugged his shoulders, not really helping to lighten the pressure Baekhyun was beginning to feel. Everyone else was exchanging glances silently until the teacher stopped at their table.

"And? Who have you guys chosen?" Her voice was sickly sweet, the kind of voice every adult used when they were around children who looked too innocent. Baekhyun guessed it was because they were all lost and it showed on their faces.

Baekhyun gave one last glance around the table, hoping someone would bring up an idea that they could all work with. When he was met with expectant glances in his direction, Baekhyun realized he'd have to make the decision himself.

Alright, first name that comes out of your mouth. Just say something.

Baekhyun looked up at the teacher who had her hands folded patiently over her stomach, a smile gracing her lips when Baekhyun opened his mouth to speak.

"Chanyeol."

Chanyeol was the first name that came to him, and he didn't really know why. Maybe it was because he sat right next to him, or because he had known him for the longest. Nevertheless, the decision was made and Chanyeol became their table's captain. If anyone had been unhappy with it, none of them spoke up about it.

Chanyeol, meanwhile, looked happy.

"Thanks, Baekhyun," he said, fiddling with his fingers on the table. He directed his next words at the rest of the group and everyone seemed as content as Chanyeol. "I'll be the best captain!"

It was revealed later on that the purpose of each captain was to hand out and hand in papers whenever needed and to keep their table in check. It seemed like a boring job at first, until she mentioned that each week they'd play two games where the captain would lead their table and whichever table had the most points won from games at the end of the month, would get a prize.