Call Back

A/N

Hey everyone! This is my first chapter of Father's Shadow, I hope you like it!

--

*Rose's POV*

It's around 10:30 at night. Dad is sleeping, and I'm out in the living room with mom as she's doing case work. She looks really exhausted and annoyed.

Her phone starts to ring, I watch as she picks it up and the vibrant ringing ends. "Benson," she says with a sigh. She rolls her eyes as she says, "Yeah I'll take a look.."

"Mom, are you ok?" I ask in confusion, I've never seen her look so annoyed with one case. I can see a blur of words on the papers in front of her and I am able to make out "sex trafficking". What even is that? Should I ask? I hear mom and dad complain about "rings" of it and how slow and hard it is "to take them down".

"Yes honey, I'm fine. Just a bit tired. Anyways, you should get to bed soon. You know, you have school tomorrow!" mom said to me in a not so assuring voice. So, I decide to ask her. "Mom, you don't seem ok. I kind of made out a few words on your files. What in the world is sex trafficking?" I'm sort of nervous that I asked her. What if she gets mad because I'm being nosey or that I read someone off of the file?

*Olivia's POV*

Did she just ask what sex trafficking is? Oh boy, how do I explain this to her? We've already had the sex talk, so it can't be that difficult, right..? Well, this day had to come some time and I guess today is the day...

"Honey, sex trafficking is... Sex trafficking is where men buy women for sex. The women bought are forced to have sex for money. They are even sold to different traffickers, and it is very difficult to take down this sort of business." How is an 11 year old supposed to react to this?

"Oh, ok? So these women have to do those things for men when they don't want to? That's so messed up! I mean, if I were a girl like that, I would just run away! Why don't those girls just run away?" Rose questioned, I could see she looks quite confused. Although this is easier than I thought, it's still not the easiest topic to go over with an 11 year old girl.

"Because, most women that are being trafficked are afraid of being tracked down and hurt very bad if they flee. Which is why it can be very hard to take traffickers down because the women are often reluctant to go against their traffickers."

*Rose's POV*

I understand a bit more now. I can see why she's annoyed! "Oh ok. Well, I'm gonna go to bed since I'm getting super tired. Love you momma!" I say as I walk over and give mom a kiss before I head to bed. She responds, "I love you too baby, sweet dreams!"

I wake up at 7 am when I hear my alarm go off. I get up and notice that dad has already left for work, but mom hasn't. Shouldn't she be awake by now? Oh wait, that's right. It's tuesday and she called in for a vacation day to get some home things done while I was at school.

I continue getting ready and eat a banana as a quick snack, I don't really get that hungry in the morning. It's 7:30, around the time that my bus arrives. I quick go wake mom up to let her know that I am going to leave for the bus. She gives me a quick peck on the cheek with her lips as she tells me that we have fun plans set when I get home. I wonder what that could be? I was mentioning a few places that I've been wanting to go. Maybe I'll get to see some cool stuff!

*Olivia's POV*

I hear the door shut as Rose leaves for the bus. I grabbed my phone to check for any texts or missed calls. I see a missed call and voicemail from Fin an hour ago. I open the voicemail and take a listen. "Hey Liv, it's Fin. You know that sex trafficking case we've been working on? Yeah, I got something and it's very serious. Call back."

--

A/N

Thanks for reading! :-) Sorry if this is a little short, but this is just to start it off. Leave any comments on this story you have, good or bad I'd love to hear! Any suggestions? Send me a message. :-)