Chapter 3 - The Stellar Core

Jude's eyes ran over the pages of his book. This was one of the most interesting chapters.

___________________________________  _______________

'The Stellar Core is the third and most current galactic coalition of planets. Before it, as mentioned in chapters thirteen and fourteen, the Council of Planets, and the Trans-spatial Coalition, preceded it.

It has faced many setbacks in its creation as well as its reign over the core worlds. Namely that of black market pirating and individual planetary sovereignty. The Stellar Core gained popularity in the year 2467 A.D., during the reign of current galactic coalition of planets, the Trans-Spatial Coalition. It was first established as a small trading group between a few star systems ranging from the Alpha Centauri system to Sol.

The predominant factor that played such a large role in its rise to power was its all volunteer security force. These men and women, most of whom were traders and merchants, gave up their lives on their home worlds to escort Stellar Core freighters to and from their destinations. Their vigilance in skirmishes were noted amongst the prating community as well as the Trans-Spatial Coalition due to the fact that their aggressiveness towards pirates and the Trans-Spatial Coalition stemmed from their self made code of honor. Their belief in the idea that men should not be paid to fight, but instead should fight for the cause they believe in gave the small trading group a security force not to be reckoned with.

In the first five years of its existence The Stellar Core grew from a small association to an overwhelming military power due to the millions of volunteers it received from the systems they traded with and protected. The sovereign governments of the planets that fell under its protection recognized its potential and created a small coalition of planets in the core of the system worlds. They soon adopted the name of Stellar Core.'

____________________________________________________________________________

As the history of the Stellar Core flowed through his mind, he felt his eye lids drooping as sleep encompassed him.

___________________________________  ________________

"Jude, hey Jude..."

A muggy voice entered into the dank fog of Jude's subconscious. His mother mouthed the words. Someone was pushing on his shoulder, rocking him slightly. He tried to speak to his mother to tell her not to worry, he was there with her, his lips opened and closed but he found his voice was gone. Her worried face made his heart ache, the lines of age etched into her skin creased as she received no response from her son.

"Jude they found your brother."

His mothers voice seemed strangely familiar, he had not heard it in two years but it seemed younger somehow. He reached out a single hand and touched her cheek. The comfort was wasted as light and conscious thought broke suddenly into his mind. With a stuttering gasp Jude's eyes opened. He lay on his cot, standing next to him was Tiffany. He realized that he was not actually staring at her face, but at her crotch and quickly lifted his perspective. The girl had a sly smile reserved only for him.

"See anything you like?"

"I thought I saw some crabs, but then I remembered that I didn't like seafood." Jude's own tone of voice was far more aggressive then he had meant it to be. But what did she expect after waking him from such a pleasant dream.

"Ouch, are you always such a dick after waking up?"

His only response was a shrug of his shoulders as he closed his eyes in another attempt at sleep.

Tiffany's hand touched his shoulder again pressing firmly on his muscle.

"Didn't you hear me?"

"I heard you alright."