Chapter 5 - Silent War

Shade: 12th Blast Group

1.The Captain 

2.Jude Derkin 

3.Tiffany Rihnland 

4.Eric Mcgregor 

5.Tanner Tulson 

6.Tinston Isham 

7.Susie Hepp 

8.Ahl Johanson 

9.Sana Jokett 

10.Expendable Grunt

11.Expendable Grunt

12.Expendable Grunt

13.Expendable Grunt

15.Expendable Grunt

16.Expendable Grunt

17.Expendable Grunt

18.Expendable Grunt

Strange how everything looks so calm, when you turn your head like this. Now all you can see is the hallway, full of it's beckoning silence. Jude stared down the empty hallway, you could be as alone as you like in the dead of space. Without any noises to bother you. That was one of the few things Jude liked about space, and one of the reasons why he chose a life in it. He turned back to the firefight in progress.

He couldn't see anyone's faces, but all eighteen members of his unit were highlighted and tagged with their names. It was a spectacular sight, and he realized moments like these were rare. The silent muzzle flashes and different colors of energy that were being shot and flung around, made for what Terran's back on Sol might call fireworks. He sat with his back against the wall, one knee propped up.

One of the men, he looked at the name on the tag, Tulson, was trying to contact Shade Command. Jude was ordered to watch his back until he finished. He was near the back of the unit, meaning the rest of his team would have to be killed before he had to worry about dieing himself. Not really a pleasant thought. Jude felt the vibration of a grenade going off, a few shards of metal flew by, he registered them as shiny streaks. One of them embedded itself in Tulson's helmet, the man was knocked backwards in the zero gravity, the back of his head collided in silence against the floor of the station in one sudden movement.

"Ah, Xenon! I can't see, I can-" Tulson's voice rasped over his comm., Jude could hear him coughing and wheezing still trying to call for help.

Jude snapped out of his stupor, and clamored over to the man. Tulson's hands grasped at the spot the debris had struck, Jude could see the white opaque lines of oxygen escaping into the vacuum from the man's helmet. He acted quickly, he shuffled around Tulson to the pack the man carried on his back. He searched through two of the side pockets until he found what he was looking for. With his prize in hand he circled back around to Tulson's front. He placed a firm hand on the mans visor to steady him as he placed his gloved hand around the metallic object, closing off the gaps.

"I have to take out the shrapnel Tulson, hold your breath." The man struggled for a few more seconds, still caught up in fear and panic at the sudden attack.

Tulson stopped struggling and tapped Jude on the shoulder to assure him he was ready. Jude held what looked like clear strips of plastic in his right hand, plasteel sticky glass. He pulled out the piece of metal and as quickly as he could slapped the plasteel patch onto the damaged section of the helmet. He slid a finger around the edges to make sure it was secure before standing up. On the ground Tulson was feeling his helmet to make sure it was in working condition. He turned to look up at Jude, His right eye was visible through the clear covering, it looked bloodshot, and Jude could make out blue lines on his face where the veins threatened to be sucked out. He held out a hand to help Tulson up.