Chapter 26: How to Apply Your Eye Make-up

The eyes are usually the most beautiful and expressive part of the face and skillfully applied make-up will accentuate them. Eye make-up can be very simple – a touch of mascara or brush of shadow suitable for a busy day or a summer outing. Or it may be very dramatic – several colors of eye-shadow, eyeliner, mascara, and brow pencil for a special night out.

The trick is to learn to apply all your eye cosmetics accurately and skillfully; that you will make every stroke count, whether you need a one-minute miracle in the morning or whether you have 15 minutes to spare before a party. Experiment with different ways of shading and highlighting your eyes, and see which shapes and colors suit you best. Generally, fair complexions look best with softer, more subtle shades of shadow, liner, and mascara, while darker skins can take more dramatic colors and combinations.

Eye Shadows

Eye shadow is available in various forms; creams, pencils and pressed powder, all with either a matt or pearl-finish. The choice of textures and shades is enormous, allowing you to mix and match and create a variety of different looks.

Powder eye shadow is the simplest to apply, using either a specially shaped sponge applicator or cosmetic brush. The powder glides on the eyelid and with careful blending you can easily vary the density of color.

Creams require a little more skill and should be applied with either a brush or finger tip. Powder pencils allow for precise application, while the cream formulations tend to crease in the eyelid.

Using Eye Shadows

Eye shadow is the main way of contouring your eyes, and is the most important part of your eye make-up. Always make sure that it is blended well into the surrounding skin or the adjoining color of shadow; harsh edges will make it look artificial.

Eyeliners

Eyeliner comes in three main forms; liquid and two types of pencil. Liquid is supplied in a small bottle with a fine brush and it needs to be applied carefully so that the line doesn't look too harsh.

Some eyeliner pencils are water-soluble; they have to be moistened with water or saliva before being applied and will give either a hard or gentle line as required.

Other eyeliner pencils are used without moistening them; before buying this type of pencil, test that it is not too hard by using it on the fine skin between your thumb and first finger and checking that it does not drag or catch the skin.