9

"Hi, I'm a new student." I looked around the room and saw Jaxon in the middle of the  classroom. There was one empty seat beside him. I looked anxiously at the teacher. I realised this probably wasn't my class. 

"Nora I'm presuming?" I swallowed.

"Yes." If someone here knew Nora I was screwed. After waiting for several moments anxiously, it seemed nobody suspected me and they were all just waiting for me to sit down.

"Are you going to sit down?" I winced.

"Yeah." The class laughed. I made my way to the seat beside Jaxon. I sat down and hid my head. What have I gotten myself into?

"Hey." Oh my God! He talked to me.

"Hello." My face was kind of hidden behind my hair, and my words were muffled, but I made eye contact with him.

He was so breathtakingly beautiful. He also saw me in a puddle of my own pee. I blushed and looked away. I'm doomed.

"My name's Jaxon. You're Nora?" I nodded starring at the board in front of me. What grade is this? This math is way too easy.

"Yeah." I need to expand my vocabulary. I looked at Jaxon again and moved my hair out of my face.

"How are you Jaxon?" This is so formal I feel itchy. What I really want to do is grab his hand and take him home. I can't do this stupid small talk with him.

"Pretty confused. I have no idea what he's going on about." He looked at the teacher. I frowned.

"What's so hard to understand about rationalizing binomial radical decimals?" Jaxon eyes glaze over.

"What. Too many fancy words. Explain". I was kind of a math geek sometimes. I took the notebook off his desk and grabbed his pen. I wrote the question off the board.

[WARNING: TRIGGERS FOR THOSE WITH MATH PROBLEMS, ALSO THIS IS LEGIT MATH]

"Okay well this one is really easy. 1 over square root 2 plus 1. You take the conjugate of the binomial, which is square root 2 minus 1. If you multiply the orginal expression by one nothing would change, and we know that any expression used in a fraction as numerator and denominator equals one. So sqr 2 - 1 over sqr 2 -1 times the original fraction  will give us our rationalized denominator. Do you know how to multiple binomial?"

Jaxon looked sick to his stomach. "I was following you until there was multiplying involved. Also what is a conjugate? Isn't that English? This is Math class." He looked absolutely horrified. I thought it was cute.

"Do you need help with your math?" Jaxon blushed and I almost swooned. His hair fell a little into his eyes at this angle, as it was not gelled up today. His head was resting on his palm. He winced.

"This is pre-calc 11. I'm in grade 12 trying to become a doctor. This class is mandatory to get into Med school. I failed so badly the first time. I come every single day, and Mr. Hontraz is a good teacher but I don't get any of it. So yeah, I would love if you could help me."

He wanted to become a doctor. I tried to swallow the rest of his words, but I kept thinking about him in a doctor's coat. Yes sir, I would like a check up.

Wow thirsty ho much.

"Actually if you want to come over after school today-"

"I can't." I grimaced. "I'm...uh.."

"Excuse me this is a math class, and with such such golden records, I recommend to stop flirting you two." People looked and us and chuckled into their palms.

I blushed and starred at the wooden desk. There was a penis carved into the corner. Next to it was a phone number. High school is disgusting.

"Mr. Hontraz, Nora was trying to explain your lesson to me." He looked surprise. I lifted my head up to see the teacher pick up the chalk and hold it out towards Jaxon.

"Show me." Jaxon visibly swallowed and got out of his desk. He shot a look at me. I gave him a smile. He smiled back. Ugh, this cute feeling in my chest is too much.

Luckily for Jaxon, the question I explained was the one on the board.

"You take the ...uh, you take the conjugate." He looked like he was sweating. His stutter wasn't attractive. He had to feel confident in himself. His fear was his biggest obstacle.

Mr. Hontraz didn't say anything, just watched as Jaxon wrote what I had explained to him. After he drew the multiplication symbol between the two expressions, he stopped.

Tell me he knows how to multiply binomials. Jaxon slowly, very very slowly he wrote the answer. It was actually very simple.

Square root 2 minus one. The denominator rationalizes to one. The class went silent.

"Jaxon...." it was deafening. Jaxon starred at me with so much fear. I don't understand why math stressed him out so much.

"...Your answer is correct." Jaxon let the breath he was holding. I smiled. Humans are so funny.

Jaxon returned to his seat and smiled at me. "Thank you. I don't know if it's because I'm listening extra hard, but I could hear your voice in my ear. I mean I know I just heard it, but I got it. I did something mathematical. It's kind of new to me."

I felt bashful. It was an easy concept to understand. He just needed to really listen and not be so afraid.

...it seemed Nora would be the one to help him.