12

"We believe the paralysis was caused by transverse myelitis. It's a complication that probably presented with infection." My head felt fuzzy. It was pounding. My mouth was dry.

"We've started her on steroids and hope to see her symptoms get better soon. She should be ready to take home by tomorrow morning." I couldn't move. 

The air felt so thick, drenched with scents. My nose was twitching violently. I almost didn't smell my dad who was seated on my right. My eyes were trained on the blonde doctor. She smiled when she saw me.

"I'm glad to see your awake. I hope your feeling better. Your paralysis should be going soon. I'll be back in a couple hours to check up on, Ms. Wolph." I felt my dad scoot closer to me, grab my hand.

"Why are you so stupid? What the fuck were you thinking, little fox. I was coming to get you this weekend. Why on Earth did I have to find out that my intelligent, sweet, resilient, little girl was admitted to this hospital with paralysis? From a woman's shelter? Why did you leave your mate? I thought you wanted to stay there, that's why we weren't in any rush. What happened?"

I looked into my dad's eyes. "I didn't want to be there anymore." I could feel myself starting to tear up. "I had to leave. I figured, I'd just make my way back home by myself. I didn't think I'd get an infection, much less complications. Dad, most humans don't get that sick-"

"Do you look like most humans? You are not a human at all. You are a  little wolf, suffering from denial. Your immune system is compromised and so is your logic!" His blue eyes seemed tired. I felt guilty. 

"Little fox," he sighed, "I should apologize before I take you home. I am not very good with social concepts, and have done what I believe is necessary for your benefit. Your mate is currently having a weekend sleepover with your older brother."

I squinted at him? "What?"

"He was feeling bad, just lost his dog and the girl he liked, so I tracked him down and pushed Darren to corner him at the park and make friends." My dad looked sheepish. 

"How long have I been asleep?" I look around the room in a daze. The clock says it's eleven thirty in the morning. 

"A week. You came in here with paralysis that restricting your oxygen so they put you on a ventilator. They scanned your head and spine and found the inflammation, did some tests and got it figured out. They said you probably slept most of this week because of emotional trauma."

I suddenly felt really exhausted. "I don't want to know how you manipulated Jaxon to spend the weekend at our house, I just want to go home. Just keep him away from me, for the first few hours if you can."

'''''''''''''''

YO SO who wants smol updates more often or larger updates less often? this was smol and sooner