The Distance was an Issue...

You strolled through the streets of Chicago with nothing but a blank look on your face. It shocked you that happiness wasn't making its way through your system. You were graduating from college this Saturday. After spending two years at a community college in California, you got accepted into Adler University in Chicago. Excitement ran through you when you found out. Adler University had one of the nation's best art therapy programs in the nation, so this was a dream come true, then it hit you. You would have to leave Mark behind.

The two of you had been dating since your first year at community college. As cheesy as it was, it was love at first sight, well at least for him it was. You thought he was just another arrogant asshole roaming the streets of LA, but eventually, you fell for him.  

You hid being accepted from Mark for several weeks. You didn't know how to break it to him. The whole charade came to an end when he found your acceptance letter buried at the bottom of the trash. 

Mark was the one that pushed you to take this opportunity. When you told him that you didn't want to just leave him behind, he got surprisingly stern with you.

"No, Y/N you're not putting your dreams on hold for me. I'm not going to let you do that." The whole thing was a hot topic between you too for the next couple of weeks. Eventually, you nodded your head and said you would go. 

You still remember one of the last things he told you before you boarded the plane to Chicago. "Being 2,000 miles away isn't going to change the fact that I still love you and always will love you."

Over the next two years, you weren't able to see Mark in person. Whenever he was out in the Midwest visiting his mom, your schedule was packed due to school. Just as it cleared up, Mark would leave back to California.

The two of you did keep in contact through texts, phone calls, and the nightly skype calls. When you graduating came up in conversation, Mark automatically said he would be there.

"I'm not going to miss a chance to see you accomplish your dream. Besides, I haven't seen you in two fucking years."

As you thought back to that moment, a smile lit up your face. It was only a few more days and you would be reunited with the love of your life.

You made your way into one of the various parks Chicago had to offer. As much as you loved the sun and heat California had to offer, you had grown to love this place.

Your ringtone started blaring, letting you know that someone was calling you. When you saw that the caller ID read Mark, you immediately answered.

"Hey! I missed you!" You said eagerly as you sat down on a nearby bench.

"You just talked to me this morning, I don't know how you could miss me all that much.." His hearty laugh made the smile on your face even bigger.

"We haven't seen each other in person in two years, let me have this moment!"

"Whatever you say, sweetheart." The fact that he called you sweetheart made your heart swell. God, you couldn't wait to see him.

Breaking the tension, you spoke up. "I can't wait to see you this weekend Mark! Not only do I finally get to go back home with the guy I care endlessly about, but my dream's finally coming together." An unsettling silence came from the other end. Something was off...

"Mark, are you still there?" You asked, a slightly worried tone coming through your voice. Maybe he just accidently hung up the phone? It took a few minutes, but he eventually responded.

"Yeah, I'm still here..." Mark spoke, an uneasy tone appearing in his voice. "Y/N there's something I need to tell you..." Your heart dropped to your stomach when you heard that.