It was a Tale as Old as Time... {Pt 3}

(Mark's POV)

I didn't know Y/N all that well, nor did I know her brother Jakob all that well. Something ignited inside of me as the two of us searched for her brother. I wasn't quite sure what it was. All I know is that I'm relieved that Jakob called not just for me, but for Y/N as well. In the small amount of time I've gotten to know her over the course of searching for her brother, I've realized that she doesn't need this kind of stress in her life. Then again, no one really needs that kind of stress.

I sat there, Y/N's phone in my hand as I glanced at her. She was gesturing towards me, telling me to give her the phone. I was about to hand it over when I heard Jakob clear his throat on the other end.

"On second thought, I'd like to talk to you first buddy." Oh god, this wasn't going to go well. I held a finger up to Y/N, telling her to give me a few minutes. She glared when she saw my finger. I could see Y/N mouth out, "but it's my phone!"

"Who the hell are you? And what are you doing at my sister's place this late?" This late, it couldn't be that late. I glanced towards a clock that sat on an entertainment center by her flatscreen. 2:46 am. Well shit, he wasn't kidding when he said it was late. Time really does fly when you're searching for a missing girl's brother.

"I'm helping your sister look for you."

"Yeah, likely story." Jakob sarcastically spoke. I get he was just being the protective older brother, but he does remember he disappeared without a trace, right? "Well congratulations, I've been found! You don't have to help her anymore so you're free to go!"

"Doesn't really work like Jakob. I'm not going anywhere until you show up at her doorstep."

"Lucky for you, I'll be there in the morning." I heard Jakob sigh on the other end as he mumbled something under his breath. "I have to leave now. Just tell my sister I'm on my way home and that I'll explain everything when I get there."

"Alright, I'm sure she'll be thrilled."

"Oh, and one more thing, if I find out you pulled or try to pull anything on my sister it won't be such a happy reunion tomorrow, got it?" I had to stop myself from laughing. If he was anything like his sister, this would be interesting.

I could barely get out "Yeah I'll tell her" before Jakob disconnected the call. I stared down at the phone screen for a few moments before handing it back to her. 

"So, what did he say to you?! Is he coming home?!" I could see the pure joy and excitement radiating from her face as she stared at me. For the first time since I've known her, I began to notice the smallest of smiles growing on her face. The feeling of relief washed through my system as I noticed this. What, just because I don't know her doesn't mean I can't be happy for her.

"He said that he'll be home tomorrow morning and that he'll explain everything to you once he gets here."

"What do you mean, 'he'll explain everything to me?'."

"I'm not quite sure, I didn't get the chance to ask him before he hung up." She sat there, nodding her head as if she were still trying to process all of this information.

"Did Jakob say anything else to you?" She asked, the hopefulness shining in her Y/C/E. I thought back to the warnings he gave me. I decided against telling her because one, she didn't need to deal with the fact that her brother thought I was trying to get with her. Second, nothing was actually happening between us so it's not like she needed to know.

"No, he didn't mention anything else." I've never been the best of liars so I prayed to god I was convincing.

Once again, Y/N began to nod her head. This time, much slower. I watched as a few tears began to make their way down her cheeks as she sat there, her elbows on her knees and her eyes cast down towards the ground.