#1

I must hide. They are looking for me. I'm too young to go. Not a decade has passed and I'm already being hunted. I was supposed to be safe here. They call this place the land of freedom so why am I being hunted? I should be free. But I will never be accepted.

Marian always always accepted me, but I fear she may be gone. All of us hunted. I can smell the smoke. I can see the fire. The hunters burn us with the fire. They try to get the demons out of us this way. But there are no demons within us. We are peaceful and we mean no harm. But the hunters don't care. I'm too young to voice an opinion. Too young to be heard in the mass of burning bodies. But I have not been captured yet. My youth and my size can be a useful tool and for that I am grateful. I was able to sneak away. I still might be hunted, but I stand a chance.

Poor Marian won't last long. She's a very sweet woman, but she's so very old. She will be one of the first bodies. And to a degree, it might be her fault. She was the one who wanted new young members with us. The more people she told, the more people knew. And then came the hunters. We mean no harm and we start no riots. The others don't understand. They don't care about us.

And now the footfalls can be heard. I am hidden under a heavy tarp, along with some wares. They won't find me. The shopsman won't let them. But everything else will burn.

I hear their voices. They are demanding and aggressive. But one man's voice is distinct. It is not pleasant, but familiar. I met a hunter once. He told me that if anyone were to pose a threat, he would waste no time in creating a bloodbath. He said this in a way meant to soothe and assure me. He doesn't know I'm the threat. And while he did seem fond of a child such as me, he will waste no time for greetings and no time for goodbyes. I must wait. I may still get word from Marian. I could get word from a hunter. Either way I suppose I will have to eventually flee, and so farewell. I will live.