The Antler

I notice 3 deer walking across the street. They just stay there looking at us. We start to get really close and they still stay still.

"Mom watch out!" I say as we hit two deer at once.

-

"Can I get a statement from you now young lady?" the police officer repeats for the third time.

I can't even speak. I'm terrified. Shaking even. I can barely breath. I feel as if the world is coming to an end.

I look outside the car window and see two paramedics wheeling my mom into the ambulance. She's unconscious. I see something sticking out of her head. I squint as hard as I can to decipher the object, then my eyes widen. It's a deer antler, I start to scream uncontrollably. First, I faint at dance. Second, I get in a car crash. Third, my mom is unconscious and has a deer antler in her head.

Thoughts are consuming my brain and I can't even think straight.

"Again, I need a statement of what happened from you," the officer repeats.

I decide to just get it over with. "Well, we we're going down a hill to avoid traffic when I spotted deer in the middle or the street. I told my mom to stop, but it was too late. And now here we are," I say.

"And now here we are," the officer repeats with a slight chuckle.

I find his response quite disrespectful, given the situation, but I just let it go in one ear and out the other.

"Can you take us to the hospital (referring to Maddie and I)?" I question. "I want to be with my mom," I say.

"Sure, come on girls," the officer instructs us.

Maddie and I hop out of the car and walk to the car. I am very worried and devastated at all of the recent events occurring, and I pray to God my mom will be okay.

We arrive to the hospital and sit in the waiting room. After twenty minutes, a doctor comes out to the waiting room and yells, "Are Melissa Ziegler's daughters here?"

"We're right here!" Maddie yells back.

The doctor walks over to us with a worried look. I become concerned and pay close attention to what he says.

"Hello Maddie and Mackenzie. Unfortunately, we can't get the deer antler out of your moms head without surgery," the doctor says.

"Well do the surgery now!" I shout.

"Well it's not that easy," the doctor says shyly.

"What do you mean?" Maddie worries.

"Well, if we take out the antler, there is a high chance that your mom will start to bleed out and we won't be able to stop it in time, meaning she'll die. But..." the doctor is interrupted by Maddie.

"if you don't remove the antler, she'll definitely die?" Maddie questions with tears in her eyes.

I didn't realize it before, but tears are streaming down my face.

"Correct. We are going to do everything that we can. I promise you that," the doctor promises.

"Please, please don't let her die!" I cry.

The doctor walks away and Maddie and I wait, filled with curiosity and worry.

-

Sorry I haven't updated in two years! Please vote and comment for more!