2

The first time I ever saw Jason Todd was inside my Fathers cave. He was sitting in a chair in front of our Butler Alfred who was looking completely nervous. I was maybe nine years old at the time. The elevator doors slid open, I let my eyes adjust to the lack of light. My Father stood in the corner of the room right next to the Bat Mobile, he was leaning up against the door with his hands crossed over his chest. Jason was no more than ten years old.
"Who's this?" I asked, stopping in my tracks. No outsider is aloud on this floor.

I watched as Alfred and Dad glance to each other for a split second before starting to walk towards me "this is Jason Todd" Dad introduced me to the kid. He had tanned skin, dark brown hair that was basically black, and bright green eyes. The little girl inside me was peeking through because I immediately thought that he was cute. Usually I'm more of a tomboy with ripped jeans and scraped up elbows "Mr. Todd this is my daughter, Cora"

"Yeah, yeah, can I go now?" The boy narrowed his eyes rudely, catching a tone with my Father.

I pursed my lips slightly "you got a bad attitude!"

"Alright now Cora" Dad placed his hand on my shoulder and guided me across the room.

"What?!" I asked defensively "he's the one who-"

"Listen Cora, you're not in trouble" He assured me. I closed my mouth and looked down to the floor. Dad made sure that Jason couldn't hear us before he started to speak "look, he's had a hard life. He needs a someone to talk to"

"You're telling me to be his friend?"

"I'm asking you to be someone to him. I'm not asking you to marry him or give up your kidneys for him... I'm asking you to be there if he needs someone. You're around his age, he could use a kid to hang out with"
I looked over to Jason who was slumped in the chair. He was slowly spinning it around and around with boredom in his eyes. His clothes are dirty with a few holes, his pants are too short and he has two right shoes, he could also use a shower. I blew out a puff of air but eventually nodded my head, understanding what I need to do "good girl" he gave me a small smile.

I sighed and smiled back. This shouldn't be too bad, right? I headed back over to Jason, but spun around to say one more thing "my room is off limits to him" I pointed my thumb over my shoulder to Jason.

"Oh" Dad nodded "that rule has already been set up, trust me"

I decided to go on a walk, and Dad forced me to take Jason. He had changed out of his dirty street clothes in to a red shirt and black cargo shorts, and a pair of my sneakers which looked more like boy shoes rather than girl shoes. I had on blue skinny jeans dark red t-shirt, my hair was in a messy ponytail (definitely not my best look... but give me a break, I was nine!) "so" I started awkwardly as we strolled by the line of trees on the side of the long rock drive way that leads out to the main road. The sun was getting ready to set on the horizon and the chilly weather of Autumn was setting in for the night "why were you stealing the tires off the Mobile?" I asked, turning my head to him.
He didn't answer. He continued to walk with his hands shoved in his pockets. I mouthed 'okay' and looked back to the road under our feet "so uh... your parents, do they know that you're here or-"

"I don't have parents" he finally spoke in a low voice. I swore his eyes became watery for a moment before he blinked it away.

"Oh" I murmured, not knowing what to say "I'm, I'm sorry. But you know... you're always welcome here" I offered kindly, raising up my hands to gesture around our large estate. The leaves were beginning to change, the days were getting smaller, and school had just started "we have plenty of room obviously"
He didn't reply. He just kept walking beside me, with his head down. I rolled my brown eyes and grabbed his elbow as we past a large tree in the middle of the yard.

"Hey, what?" He snapped as I pulled him to the tree.

"Just follow me, would ya?" I stopped at the bottom of the trunk and jumped up to grab a branch "come on!" I waved my hand down to him as I lifted myself on to another branch "you scared or something?"

"No!" He called and followed after me. That got him "I'm not scared!"

"Kay then hurry up!" I said over my shoulder before pulling myself up to the thickest branch on the tree. It's positioned perfectly so you could see the country side of New Jersey. The green fields stretch on for miles and miles. And usually at this time, the sun is setting perfectly over the fields. Purple and orange clouds dotted the sky, leaving behind pale white stars. There was a new moon tonight so it wouldn't show. Jason finally hauled himself up with me and carefully sat down. He looked towards the ground below and gulped. I smirked and let my feet hang over the side of the the branch "this is my favorite spot to come and relax. It's big enough for me too sit but too small for the grownups. It's my own personal spot, and you're just a guest so don't get comfortable"

"It's uh, it's nice up here"

"I know" I smiled, closing my eyes for a moment. I noticed that he was still sort of tense "hey, it's okay, relax. Chill out for a moment" I lightly nudged his arm "I've spent whole days up here. It's nice no matter what time of day it is"
Jason opened his mouth partially as if about to say something, but he quickly closed it "If you have something that you want to say... just say it" I met his eyes "Okay, you know what? From now on this is the Secret tree. You can tell me anything, and I won't tell another living soul, and vise versa. So go on, tell me anything, and I'll zip-lock it and put it in the pocket"

I swear he almost smiled at that. I felt proud of myself "my parents..." he took a deep breath "they're kinda dead, well my Father is just gone. I don't really know where he is"

I lifted one leg up and placed it under my chin and wrapped my arm around it "I'm sorry. I lost my Mom. Of course I don't remember her but... it's sort of disappointing when all my friends go out shopping with their Mom or get their nails done with her and I'm stuck here" I chuckled "Actually I shouldn't be complaining, I have a good life, and you could too" Jason glanced over to me "you could enroll in school, at my school! We could be classmates. And then we could come back here and play games or just hang around! Then we'd eat dinner, go to bed, and do all of it again tomorrow!"

"Really?" Jason asked.

"Yea! Totally!" I smiled, getting excited. Having a new friend would be great.

"Okay, yea" Jason nodded "that sounds cool"