5

Cora age 12

Jason age 13

"Cora! There is a letter for you in the mail" Alfred called from the living room that evening. I was sitting in the dining room eating dinner with Jason and Dad when Alfred appeared in the doorway. I set down the spoon in my soup bowl and slipped off the chair. Jason followed after me, curious of what it is "it's from the International Studies Program, I believe"

I took the note, opened up the paper and began reading it out loud so everyone could hear "Dear Miss Wayne, you have qualified for our International Studies Trip taking place on December 16th. You will have the opportunity to travel all over the world and learn the different cultures, languages, and lifestyles of thousands of different people. The trip will take two and a half years to complete.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and we hope that you will join us. If you wish to come along, we will send you more information by mail.

Contact us by the number below.

We hope to see you on December 16th."

"Wait, so you'd be traveling around the world for like three years?" Jason asked, I couldn't tell if he was excited for me or not.

"Cora that's wonderful, all those good grades you have been making have really paid off" Dad smiled proudly at me from across the table.

"Three years?!" Jason repeated.

"Yea" I nodded, showing him the note.

He took the note and read over it
"Do you want to go?"

"Yes" I smiled and then looked over to Dad with hopeful eyes "can I go, Dad? Can I?"
Jason looked back and fourth between Dad and I.

"Well..." Dad thought for a moment before standing up from his seat at the head of the kitchen table "I don't see why not, but it'd be hard to let you go for two and a half years" I went over to him and wrapped my arms around his waist in a hug "looks like you have some packing to do"

                               ***

It was now December 15th, one day before I was leaving for my trip. My two and a half year long trip away from home, away from Dad, Alfred, and my best friend Jason. I climbed up the tree which was now covered in snow. My boots were slick against the icy bark but I kept going up. My breath was visible and I swear my nose is freezing off. I finally reached the usual branch, only to find Jason already up there. He was over looking the snow covered fields, a herd of deer were slowly making there way across in the distance.
"Hi" I breathed, settling in on the branch. He had been strangely quiet over the past few weeks since we learned of my trip "it's cold out here, how long have you been out?"

"Not long" he rubbed his hands together. He wasn't even wearing gloves.

"What's wrong Jason? I asked, crossing my arms over my chest to keep in some of the warmth "we haven't really talked that much"

"I just haven't had that much to say"

"It's about my trip, isn't it?" I tilted my head to the side, studying the way he glanced down to his lap and linked his fingers together "because it's not like I'm not coming back J, this is the best thing that could ever happen to me"

"I know" he shook his head "it's just... you know, you're my best friend and, I'm just gonna miss you"

I placed my hand on his and squeezed it. He smiled sadly up at me, his cheeks growing red. I couldn't tell if it was from the cold or from sadness "I'll miss you too, but it's only for a little while. And I promise I'll never go anywhere ever again, I'll never leave you, okay?" I smiled, nudging him lightly on the arm, hoping for a small chuckle.

He smirked "okay, and I promise that I'll never leave you, but let's be honest, they're not many places I can go besides the house and school"

I giggled. He's always so dorky. I scooted closer to him and leaned my head on his shoulder. Not in a weird romantic way, but in a best friend way. No matter how far away I travel, no matter how long we go without seeing each other, he will always be there for me.

                               ***

I had my book bag in one hand, and large suit case full of clothes in the other. It was rolling on the ground behind me. Dad, Alfred, and Jason were standing at the front entrance of the airport as I walked towards the metal detectors. I looked over to shoulder to them and smiled. Alfred waved his handkerchief at me with tear stained eyes. Dad waved his finger at me while patting Alfred comfortingly on that shoulder, and Jason just smiled.
I was sad about leaving, but excited for this new chapter in my life. Not all kids can say that they traveled around the world. A small group of students my age would be joining me along this trip, along with a few adults who would teach us and supervise us. I mingled with the other students in the waiting area before the announcer called our flight number.

On the plane I over looked the city of Gotham. See that large clearing on the east side of the city about two miles away from the edge of the city? That's my house. The street where I almost got kidnapped was even visible from up here, how funny. I sat next to a boy named Austin the entire flight to London where we would officially start our trip. Austin was funny. He had natural bleached blonde hair, hazel eyes and tanned skin. But, no matter how much he entertained me, there was always one boy on my mind.

***

Jason walked around the mansion a few weeks later. His hands shoved deep in his pockets. Bruce was at work, and Alfred was off running some errands. He missed Cora. He missed her tomboy self. He missed her laugh which caused her nose to crinkle and he missed her playful punches. It had only been three weeks since she left but to him it felt like a lifetime. She had written a few times to him while she was away. Currently she was touring around The United Kingdom and next was France. She had always wanted to go to France.

Jason walked past her room and poked his head in, half expecting to see her laying on the bed with a book in front of her, or kicking the soccer ball against her already beat up wall, or even hanging over the door frame and waiting to scare him from above. He sighed and closed the door.
This was going to be a long two and a half years.