Part 7

The day passed quickly. I had never taught anything before and wasn't sure how to begin, but Kai's own enthusiasm guided me, commencing with profanities until we were trading insults, laughing, Kai adamant that it was impossible to be offensive when speaking the lilting, musical language of Thirsk. Certainly the guttural quality of the Granthian words seemed better suited to the offensive, aggressive things we were saying. Yet there was no real aggression, no offence taken or meant. The crudity bonded us as it bonds all boys until we were giggling helplessly on his bed, as immature as children but suddenly friends.

The distant sound of Master's arrival wiped the easy smile from Kai's face. He shifted, head cocked as he listened to the metallic clatter of the compound gate opening and closing, the shouts of the guards drifting in through the window. I stroked his arm, and he jumped.

"Don't be scared," I tried to reassure him.

"He said he wouldn't force me." Kai swallowed thickly.

"I don't believe he will."

"So why does he want me in his room?"

I shrugged. "I don't know."

In truth, my stomach was in knots as I chivvied Kai to get ready. To my knowledge I was the only pleasureslave Master had ever owned, and I had been more than eager to fulfil my obligations in that role. The puppy love of my youth had, with adolescence, grown, my desire for him white-hot in its newfound intensity. I had always felt safe and cared for and protected, sitting on his lap or sleeping in his bed, but as I grew into my teens, I found I wanted more from him.

Suddenly I didn't want to feel safe anymore. I wanted him to overpower me, use me, hurt me. Take his pleasure from my body and let me revel in simply being surrounded by him, overwhelmed and desired and owned more completely than any slave he'd possessed either before or since.

Was I jealous of Kai, that he was being summoned even against his will? Absolutely.

When I'd first shown that my interest in Master was something more than a childish need for security, he had put me from him, punishing my fledgling erections and locking me in my room when I would have crept to his. I cried bitter tears that he could so easily set me aside, too young to understand his misgivings, knowing only that I loved him and I could please him if he'd only let me try.

We waited for him beside his door, neatly flanking the entrance. He smiled, beckoning us to follow as he stepped inside. Kai could not keep still, shifting his weight nervously from foot to foot, taking in the details of Master's suite: the marble floor, the thick fur rugs, his wooden desk, open and strewn with parchments. His bed.

"Tam."

I advanced at the summons, taking Master's cloak, brushing the dust from the folds and hanging it in his wardrobe.

He splashed water on his face, patted his skin with a soft towel, and rubbed his eyes as though he were weary. I approached, concerned, wanting to ease the stresses and strains of his day and make him smile, light and carefree as when he was a young man.

He contented himself with a kiss, soft and undemanding and almost chaste. I smiled at him, willing to give whatever he needed to take.

"I have some work to do." He indicated the messy desk. "What have you been doing today?"

"Teaching Kai to speak Thirskan."

"Good." He nodded. "Why don't you continue with that for a while?"

"We won't disturb you?" I knew he preferred silence while he worked.

"No, not today. I'd like to hear how you progress."