Part 20

The army marched into Otiz two days later. Kai and I listened to the tramp of feet all morning, a seemingly impossible number of soldiers responding to Master's summons. The generals called at our door a little before first-noon, and Master left with them, assuring us he would return by nightfall. So began our new routine.

Master spent his days with the army, whose presence was everywhere. Kai said the guards grumbled about having to share their quarters with the soldiers, a company of which were stationed around the compound to provide extra security. I thought it logical, given Master was underlord of the surrounding area, but Kai's green eyes flashed with suspicion every time we passed a soldier doing his rounds.

It was only to be expected, given Kai had, until recently, been in the opposing army to those men. Realising he was Granthian by birth, the soldiers had been surprised and unhappy to discover he had free run of the house, was allowed to train with the guards, and was unsupervised in Master's presence. Sasha confided she had overheard one of the generals berating Master for continuing to keep him, but Master had refused point-blank to send him away. The relief I felt at hearing the story was overwhelming, for I hadn't realised how afraid I was of losing Kai until I heard how very nearly it had happened. Another master would have dismissed him, for certain.

"I don't like this," Kai muttered, scowling at the world in general as we walked away from the training paddock.

"What?"

"Something's going on." He fell silent as we passed a couple of soldiers patrolling the garden, taking my arm and leading me to our chamber.

"What's going on?" I demanded the moment he closed the door.

"The guards think Master's leaving the compound."

"What? Why? When? Are we going with him?"

"I don't know." Kai frowned. "I don't think so. Some of the soldiers are packing for a journey, but they won't say where or when they're leaving. The guards are unhappy. They think they should be accompanying him."

"Is he in danger?" It was becoming my constant worry. I didn't know enough about life in the wider world to judge Master's place in it, but even I knew he was a figure of some import in the local area. If the generals thought Otiz was threatened, he would be the first person evacuated.

"I don't know!" Kai snapped. Immediately he was contrite, taking me into his arms and kissing my forehead. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to get angry at you. I'm just frustrated."

"We both are. I wish someone would tell us what's going on." Any time we broached the matter with Master, he quickly shut us down. I was getting very tired of being told I had nothing to worry about when it was so clearly a lie. "Will any of the guards tell you more? Shan, perhaps?"

Kai shook his head, chewing his lower lip. "Shan doesn't know any more than we do. I'm not sure even Morgan knows exactly what's happening. Ever since the army arrived, they've practically taken over." He sighed. "It used to irritate me when we marched into a place to protect it and the locals were hostile. Now I think I understand why. Nobody tells anyone anything."

"They think we're helpless," I said bitterly. "Or rather, I am."

"And they think I'm dangerous." Kai grimaced.

"Do you think he'll even say goodbye?" I asked. I couldn't bear the thought of waking one morning to find Master had left us, that he was out there somewhere, possibly in danger, not knowing if we'd ever see him again.

"He'd better." Kai's voice was a low growl, and under other circumstances I might have been amused to hear his possessive tone, maybe even teased him a little. As matters stood, Kai's anxiety only fed my own.