Chapter 10: Gabriel

<-------------Please VOTE if you enjoyed and listen to the music to the right! Thank you!

~I'm not like you, your faceless lies! ~And I won't live, your weak wicked lie! You pull me in, I'm one step behind! ~Your hope is gone and so is mine. ~I'm becoming a monster, just like you. ~Brought you to life so I can hear you scream.

***************************************************************

I was on the second to last level of stairs up to my apartment when I felt yet another sensation of someone following me. I leaned over the side of the railing of the cubed stairway and saw a man walking up the steps with their hood up. I had seen that jacket before I just couldn't put my finger on it.

I let out a sigh. Death. This is some sort of joke! I just want to get some rest!

"I can see you!" I called down the stairs, my eyes wondering to the next set of stairs they should have begun to climb.

I frowned, unable to spot them.

"I thought taping you on the shoulder would have been too alarming."

I jumped out of my skin and let out a small shriek at the masculine voice from behind and turned, to face a tall man in a blue windbreaker.

I recognized him as man who was standing across the street when I was talking to Death and I began to walk away.

"I mean no harm." He held his hands up and motioned for me to calm down.

"Get away from me, creep!" I brought my fist back and attempted to make a hook punch at their face, a punch I literally had no idea I could do.

He grabbed my hand in his fist. "I'm sorry to make you uncomfortable, Faith. But I am no 'creep.'"

I went to kick him in the crotch. The man stepped out of the way and locked my hands behind my back.

"HELP!" I roared out and squirmed against him. I managed to get free and sprinted down a set of stairs. He was right at the bottom with a serious expression "HE--"

"I am Gabriel."

That single name made me freeze in my spot. I then had the memory of Death telling me of an Angel named Gabriel, the one who made Death an Angel to begin with. I cautiously took a step back with my hand in front of me. "Gabriel," I breathed out in disbelief. "Gabriel the one that knows 'you know who'?"

I was quick to remember I wasn't suppose to tell anyone about Death.

He made an open gesture. "If by 'you know who' you mean Death, then yes. I am an Elder of the Angels and I need to speak to you. If you don't mind, that is."

"Another one of you? Do you guys just take turns jabbing me with a fire poker?" I squinted at him, trying to get a good image of his profile. His hood was up like Death's but I could see the bottom of his chin, which was lightly tanned. So far he doesn't look too grandpa like...how is he an elder? "Take off your hood," I said skeptically.

"It would be very wise to use manners around me, child," he said in the sharpest tone I had ever heard. I straightened a little at the change in his voice.

"Please," I stuttered out.

He nodded his head once. "Of course. But before I do, I should warn you there is a reason I am hiding my features from you. Human's tend to act abnormally around us when our true colors are revealed."

Oh here we go...I got another Death on my hands.

"It can't be that bad. I'm sure you're not ug--"