Chapter 3: New beginnings, old memories

Will smiled as the two friends reunited, but in his mind, he wished Nico would let him meet the mystery chick who passed out upon arrival. He also wanted to find out what on earth was forcing its way through her back. Nico was just happy that she was alive. Violet on the other hand was stuck in her mind wondering why she was still in pain, and why that pain was in her back. She remembered her the pain in her stomach- like cramps times like 1,000- heartache, and a major headache that wouldn't have bothered her if she hadn't passed out because of it. Vi stood up and felt a liquid sensation running down her back. She hopped it was whatever they had added to help her heal and not her own blood; but with Will suddenly on his feet headed her way and Nico's grave look, she knew it was the latter of the two. None the less, she remained standing, waiting on one of them to move towards something that could be used to stop the bleeding. They could try burdock root, dock leaves, and cloth, Violet thought, she had done that once when she had a large gash on her leg during some time spent living out in the woods. Some people had found her while she was sleeping and taken her to the hospital and her hellish life in foster care. Will approached her with a simple cloth and water. She again wondered about his merit as a healer. Only one way to know for sure. She googled him with her magic. He was head councilor of the Apollo cabin, the best healer in camp, Nico's boyfriend and destined for Elysium when he died. Which was great and all, but Violet was still in pain. And all he had with him was water. Sighing mentally she braced herself for the icy cold water, even though it wouldn't hurt. Because we all know how cold things feel. And that feeling is not a very pleasant one, unless you have a sunburn. And there it was, running up her back and to her shoulder blades. And then in an oval shape around the area. She couldn't hold still any longer, she shivered and felt Will's hand bump into something. Something that wouldn't normally be there. She froze once more and let him finish. But as soon as he stopped she craned her neck around, trying to get a glimpse of what it was that had touched his hand. She had no luck, so she reached her hand back and touched it. One of the two lumps that were forcing their way out of her skin. She pulled her hand back and it was covered in blood. She sighed and rubbed it on her black jeans, leaving a red- brown handprint. "What the hell is growing out of my back and where's my Advil?" Her voice was serious and joking at the same time, and caused Nico to laugh. Her expression however frightened Will. He stood ramrod straight and wide eyed, mumbling things under his breath as he rushed outside, screaming for someone named Connor Stoll. Nico tried not to laugh at his boyfriends antics, but couldn't help himself, and Vi was just sitting there smiling. In her mind it was good that Will was afraid of her, she wanted him to know that if he ever broke Nico's heart that she would break him. She didn't think that he would, but it was better safe than sorry. Will returned a few moments later with a jumbo sized thing of Advil, extra strength. Poor boy. Violet popped the childproof top off and downed a small handful of about five. Not recommended, but neither is being a demigod. Advil isn't really as strong as prescription painkillers, but it also doesn't make you quite as loopy. The medicine took effect rather quickly and she headed off to the door, trying to leave wherever she was. She wanted some sunlight. Will stopped her though, and blew out her ear drums. "Nope! You aren't leaving until whatever's growing out of your back finishes growing." She simply smirked and sat down on the table she woke up on. Whether it was her own instinct that guided her or the voice in her head that hadn't steered her wrong, she knew what to do. So she took a deep breath and began to focus on pushing the bone things out of her back. It hurt like hell and she downed three more Advil, but now they were out, and she could leave. Will and Nico just stood there and watched her as she strutted out with a new pair of jet black wings hanging off her back. "Wha..." Was all Nico managed to get out, and Will just stood there dumbfounded. He had thought he'd seen everything.