Remember Summer - Chapter 2

Tuesday was a hectic day. Since morning, Noah and his family were busy manning their booth. As per tradition, all the single men in the town (meaning him and many others) were called to help in arranging the long table and building the bonfire. By the time they were finished, it was almost dusk.

Noah was lounging on the boardwalk, with a cold drink beside him, to have some time for himself before the start of the evening activities. He was watching the sunset when a familiar voice greeted him.

"Hi!"

He looked up and smiled. "Hey!"

Marin was wearing a white summer dress while the wind was blowing her mid-length hair. She tucked her hair behind her ear like what she did at the diner last time then put her hands behind her, hesitating a bit. "Umm... Can I join you here?" She asked shyly.

He was so startled by her question that he almost knocked over his drink. Fortunately, he caught it right before the contents spilled. "S-sure. Of course you can." Noah moved a bit to make room for her to sit.

Once Marin was seated. He drank his soda hurriedly so it couldn't create anymore accidents and toss the empty can to the trash bin behind him. He cheered when it went in and almost did a fist pump before he realized that Marin was watching him.

"Oh, nice shot!" She congratulated him while clapping. He bowed dramatically as if it was a performance of a lifetime which emitted a giggle from Marin.

Once settled down, he racked his brain, thinking of a good topic to talk about between them. "I saw you this morning looking at some booths but you left early," he remarked, deciding that the summer festival was best way to start their conversation.

"Yes," she nodded. "I wanted to look at the booths and maybe buy some souvenirs. But I had to go back to the beach house where we are staying because my mom needed my help in the kitchen. You know, she was very excited to cook her famous dish for the festival." Marin animatedly told him how her mother couldn't sleep because she was so excited to prepare her food and how her mother checked the ingredients almost every minute to make sure that she got everything needed.

They both chuckled at the story and Noah couldn't help but notice how their laugh were matching with each other. It was a combination of high and low but it sounded good. And even if it was just him imagining things, he didn't care.

"I'll be sure to try it later," he promised.

"Thanks," she said, looking straight at him.

It was then the wind blew and she closed her eyes. She took a deep breath before opening her eyes again, looking at sunset.

"I was just about to go to the beach when I saw you sitting here. And well, I just wanted to join you." She was blushing now. Her whole face was red from her admission. "It's because you have a wonderful view here," she hurriedly added, changing the subject.

Noah looked at her and studied her profile. Windswept hair, a blush on her cheeks and a slightly upturned lips. At the background, he could see the endless gold-tinged sky that was also reflected by the sea. Yes, he agreed with her, a wonderful view indeed.

"It was bittersweet though." If Noah was not intently looking at her, he could miss what she softly said.

"Bittersweet?"

Marin tilted her head, thinking about how to explain it to him. "This is a beautiful sight to behold but somehow you can't help but feel the sadness. That at the back your mind, you know that the end of the day is near. You know, there's this quote I've read, 'The sun loved the moon so much he died every night to let her breathe.'"