Chapter 1

[Alcatraz, just after the events in Morg City]

The first thing I hear is the moan of the undead. I jolt up, fully awake already, and reach for my pistol. But it isn't there. I am unarmed. How odd of me, I think, to go around without some sort of weapon. I take in my surroundings. I'm in a dark, dusty, unfurnished (except for a red bubblegum machine in the corner) room with a with a single grimy window. There is a single "b" on the wall, written in blood. Did I do that? I feel like I did. The air is rank. Where am I? The zombie still hasn't tried to kill me. How curious. It's dull yellow eyes stare at me, and it's face is contorted with fury, but it doesn't attack me. It looks as though it is constrained.

I try to think, but I can't focus on anything. How did I get here? I am disoriented and confused. I can't remember much. But something feels off. It's as if some unseen force is blocking my memory.
"Samantha, I know we don't exactly... you don't exactly like me, but you must stop your father."
I am given no answer.
"He's going to destroy the Aether! THE AETHER, SAMANTHA! YOU SIMPLY HAVE TO HELP ME!"
Only then does she reply to me.
"He won't do that. My daddy won't do that. He's a good man".
Then she is silent.
"You are wrong, you foolish girl! Your father is a monster! The Aether is no place for him!"

In my frustration, I swing at the living corpse (who up until this time had been standing idly). It roars, and swipes at me, leaving four long cuts down my arm. I grit my teeth. I have experienced much greater pain than this. I grab it by the arms, and throw it to the ground. It snarls, its spittle spraying my face. I instinctively try to remove the vile substance, but that's all it needs. It lunges at me and bites my neck. I scream out in pain. But this can't be the end... nein, I know my future. With all my strength, I punch the monster, breaking its skull. The blue light slowly fades from its eyes. But I am dying too. The agony is unlike any I have felt before; and pain is an old friend of mine. I am drawn, strangely, to the bubblegum machine in the corner. Upon studying it further, I find Dr Monty is engraved into a metal panel on the machine. I smile.

I press the button. I am not at all surprised that I do not need to insert a coin. The glass dome shudders violently and suddenly explodes, spilling candy all over the room.
Where it was now lies a metal gauntlet. It must be... powered by 115. But I know I don't have enough strength to lift it. I crawl over to the wall and write with my own blood an "ub" next to the "b" already wrote there. My last thoughts are comforting ones.
Someone out there wants me to succeed. Wants me to assure the safety of the children.
Many foes have tried to overpower me. But none have. And none will. For I am stronger than them all. I am stronger than Maxis.
I am Edward Richtofen.
I am the Doctor.