Chapter 9: Secrets

End of June 2010

"Kendra! Get up, I wake you every morning and when the school year starts again, I'm done. Here."

       I jumped from my moms yelling and when I opened my eyes i squinted due to the brightness of my room light bulb. My mother had a box shoved in my face and for a second I thought I was dreaming."

"Mom! Is this a-"

"Yes, it is and I'm only giving it to you to use as an alarm clock, and also because I think you finally deserve one. I've seen the marks from your exams and I'm proud of you baby!"

       I threw my sheet off of me and wrapped my arms around my moms waist. I squealed and let go of my mom and we were both smiling. 

"Mom...Do you know what this means? I can actually text and call people from outside of the apartment!"

"Yes Kendra...That is what cellphones are for."

"Mom, It's a cellphone! An actual...Oh my gosh! It's not just any cellphone either, it's an iPhone 4! This phone just came out a couple of days ago, how did you afford this?"

"Don't dig into my wallet size, just be glad I got you a phone."

"Are you paying my phone bill?"

"I spent over seven hundred dollars on that damn gadget, you better find a damn job."

"Yes ma'am."

       I knew I would have to talk to Shaun about hooking me up with a job. He made the bet so he better be able to follow through.

"Why isn't your work uniform on?"

"I have the day off! Ah, it feels so good to be a manager."

"Wow mom, I can't believe you actually get to stay home for once."

"I know, wanna do something?" 

       I was shocked. First I get a new phone, now my mom is asking me if I wanted to do something? Hell yeah, this is the life I've been waiting for!

"Of course I wanna do something, you know I still have that twenty dollar bill you gave me right?"

       My mom gave me a shocked expression. 

"Kendra! It has been almost two months and you still have the money!?"

"Mom, I had to keep it just in case...You never know."

"Wow. Well let's eat, then go do a girls day or something. You won't be spending the money today though, it's all on me."

       I brushed my teeth, showered then smelt something good. I followed the smell, and of course my nose led me into the kitchen. My mom had on a collared burgundy dress shirt, that sat on her waist line, and a pair of dark blue skinny jeans. She was bent over the kitchen table, pouring syrup on top of two plates full of  food. I slowly walked closer to get a better look.

"Hey baby, took you long enough. The plate without the eggs is yours of course."

       I stared down at the plate in shock, as if I had never seen food in my life. I sat down in front of my plate and there were three pancakes, five mini sausages, one slice of golden bread toasted just right, and cut horizontally, along with a cup of steaming tea.

"Mom! Thank you, thank you!"

       I rushed towards her and wrapped my arms around her neck and gave her a smooch on the cheek.