[Elricest] artistic ability is a curse

Fanart by crucified-serpent on Tumblr.

wahhhh this was originally so cute but I LITERALLY TOLD MYSELF TO MAKE IT SHORT SHORT SHORT AND WHAT DID I DO?? MADE A 10,301 WORD ONE SHOT THAT'S WHAT ;-; So actually I ended up just posting that as a completely separate fic and decided to do a shorter one instead, with a more basic and straightforward plot. Really broad prompts like the one I had hopes for tend to take on a mind of their own because of how many branching details can be added. 

So if you'd like to see the original plan I had for this, the book is called "It's Not Alchemy, It's Chemistry*" (kind of a play on words, eheh). Anyway, enjoy this little drabble for now I guess. It's completely different from the first idea I had, so yeah.

p.s: Please don't throw bottles at anybody in the comments over this pairing, no one's obligating you to read it. Kindly skip to the next chapter if it's not your cup of tea.

"Edward Elric."

The blonde looked up from his comfortably positioned sketchpad to see another body.

"You have been across this train car from me for the last half an hour. And you won't let me see what you're drawing at all."

The artist shrugged in response, nonchalantly bringing the notebook's face to his chest. "Maybe I don't want you to."

The younger sibling rolled his eyes and took his previous seat. It had been a nice holiday weekend at Winry's, and now it was time to resume the back-achingly long work week in Central.

"Y'know, Mom always said... Share your happiness... Because it's contagious, after all..." Al attempted (poorly) to sound casual, whistling innocently as his brother paid no mind.

"Maybe one day, but not anytime soon." He replied through his teeth, which were holding a few art supplies for him. "It's more like a cold that you don't wanna catch."

A giggle came from the opposite side of the car. "I'm only joking. I could never ask you to do something you're not comfortable with."

Ed looked up for a moment, stared at his brother for a solid five seconds, and went back to work.

The clacking of the rails filled in any silence that attempted to hang in the air. It was always a soothing sound to Alphonse. Having traveled with Edward his whole life, it was nostalgic and comforting. Railroad noise was almost more homely than Resembool.

"You have the work ethic of a motor when you're drawing, you know that?"

"Yeah." 

Alphonse hummed to himself as he stared aimlessly about the car; the fabrics seams of the seats, out the window, back at his brother. Despite the fact that Ed was virtually absent from any conversation, it was still nice to have someone to travel with.

The train began to slow to a quiet stop. It was getting darker out by the minute, which meant that the mosquitoes would be a thousand times quicker to greet the passengers than any escort.

"Who do you think it'll be today?" Edward questioned, folding his sketchbook gently, a pencil behind his ear.

"I don't know." Al extended a hand for his sibling to stand up, who took it graciously. "Maybe Lieutenant Hawkeye today."